CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, August 19, 2011

Color Learning Wheel

This is another wonderful idea I found at 1+1+1=1.

Materials:

* 12 x 12 cardstock (it will be cut into a circle, using a giant compass, bowl, or some kind of circle cutter)
* Protractor
* Pencil
* 10 different colored circles (I used a spice jar lid to size them)
* Scissors
* Double-sided tape
* Contact paper
* Clothespins
* Markers
* Computer and printer (if you want to label the colors neatly)

Instructions:

* Find the center of your paper and use the protractor to divide the paper into 10 parts (I think my husband said it was around 72 degrees) using a pencil.
* Cut the paper into a circle with a 12 inch diameter. I used a giant bowl to make the circle
* Use a small lid as the template to make your 10 colored circles
* Tape the circles in place and if you want to label them with the names of the colors, write or print out the colors and tape them down too
* Use contact paper to make it more sturdy
* Decide how many clothespins you want to use for each color (I chose 3)
* Color the ends of the clothespins to match your 10 colors. I also chose to label the clothespins with the names of the colors
* Demonstrate to your child how to clip the clothespins onto the segment of the circle that is the correct color

Skills:

This tool teaches matching, fine motor skills, colors, and reading if your child is old enough.

Plan in action:

Boogie had trouble making the clothespins pinch but really enjoyed dumping them out then putting them back in the container. I'm sure that surprises everybody! He liked taking them off the circle when I put them on as well. And we talked about all the circles. He was very excited about them. I recommend NOT using a permanent marker since it smells so bad on the clothespins and I wish I had used some kind of paint instead of white out for the white one, but it was all I had. He really wanted to pinch the clothespins, so we will keep working on that as we practice our colors. You can do this with shapes, letters, or numbers too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to every comment either by using the reply function (so please subscribe to the comment thread or check back) or email (if you are a "no-reply blogger", it is an easy change).

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...