CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Homemade Play Dough

This is a great recipe for homemade playdough that my mom always made for us. It is a lot less sticky than the store bought kind and it makes a large quantity.

A word to the wise- don't store this in your laundry room! We had two batches ruined before I realized that was the problem. The humidity caused the dough to get mildew-y, which my mom swore never happened in the twenty-odd years she had been making it and could only happen to me. Thanks, Mom.

In pot on stove:
3 cups flour
3/4 cup salt
6 tablespoons cream of tartar (2 small containers- about $6 if you can only find McCormick)

Mix separately in bowl at first:
3 cups water
3 tablespoons oil
food coloring as desired

Mix everything together in the pot. It will look like a mess. As it cooks over medium heat, it will start to have dry patches. Keep mixing. When most is dry, transfer to mixing bowl and blend well. Let it cool, then store in a gallon size ziploc bag.

Honestly, my hubby made this the first time and my mom brought it over the second time so I have not made it yet. I might add some notes to this after I make a third batch, which I will do as soon as I get the cream of tartar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to every comment either by using the reply function (so please subscribe to the comment thread or check back) or email (if you are a "no-reply blogger", it is an easy change).

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...