CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, October 7, 2011

Scented Pumpkin Play Dough

Using my mom's play dough recipe, I made Boogie pumpkin play dough. This is the first time I have made this play dough myself and it turned out really well! It took a long time to get it looking orange enough. I kept adding yellow and hoping for the best. It got to a nice orange and then I added the pumpkin pie spice to scent it and it turned a much darker orange- almost a brown. But, boy, does it smell good! It only took about 15 or 20 minutes to make, and Boogie sat happily with his Halloween sensory bin at my feet and we talked while I stirred it on the stove then blended it in the mixer.

I got the idea for scenting play dough from Mari-Ann at Counting Coconuts. Her recipe is just a smaller version of mine, but the same ingredients. 

She says to add the extras after the play dough is cool because it will "take" better. I did that this time with the pumpkin pie spice but, like I said, it altered the color A LOT and didn't blend through as much as I would like. I am not sure if she uses spices or only extracts. I think next time I would use an extract rather than a spice and see how it turns out.

A lot of the other moms who use pumpkin pie play dough give the kids black bean for decorating pumpkins like jack o'lanterns and pipe cleaners for sticking in the top as stems. I am trying to decide if this is a good idea for Boogie. It is REALLY hard to get the black beans out and I am afraid he will get frustrated. I have to think about this.

Boogie hasn't played with his new play dough yet because when it was done it was time for lunch and his nap, but I look forward to seeing what he thinks :)



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to every comment either by using the reply function (so please subscribe to the comment thread or check back) or email (if you are a "no-reply blogger", it is an easy change).

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...