CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Christmas Sensory Bin

As I was collecting things for this bin, I thought it was not going to be what I wanted it to be at all. I always have these wonderful ideas in my head and then have to adjust based on what I can find in my errand-running. Even after I put this bin together I wasn't convinced about it. But, Boogie is completely in love with it.

Pin It


So, what's in the bin this month?


* split green peas- the base for dumping, pouring and transferring (walmart .62 a bag- I used 4)
* plastic container- scooping, dumping, pouring, opening and closing (target dollar spot)
* green plastic reindeer cup- scooping, dumping, pouring (I have had it for years)
* tiny plastic gifts- counting, colors (Target or Walmart for a couple dollars)
* mini bows-  counting, colors (Target or Walmart. I think it was 10 for .97)
* bells- counting, colors, sound (Walmart. Good sized bag for 2.50 or so)
* small plastic ornaments- color, counting, sorting by shiny and glittery (Target dollar spot. I bought 4 tubes of different colors. I think there are 12 or 16 in a tube)
* empty container of peppermint extract- smell, open and close, scooping, dumping, pouring (used this for the play dough. It was 2.50 at Walmart I think)
* plastic candy canes- counting (Dollar Tree)
* battery operated candle- light, fine motor skills with pushing the button (stocking stuffer for me several years ago)
* gold glittery pine cones- counting (Dollar Zone)
* red and green tops- fine motor skills, counting (Dollar Zone)
* empty candy cane tube- scooping, dumping, pouring, opening and closing (Dollar Tree)
* nutcracker- working the lever to open and close the mouth (Target dollar spot)
*fake poinsettias- counting (Dollar Zone)
* celtic stone nativity- pretend play (my aunt brought it back for me from Ireland)
* stocking- in and out (also mine from who knows when)

EDIT- When I put this together I forgot to include a couple things that have since gone in the bin.
* green plastic spoon- scooping, dumping (take and toss toddler spoon from our drawer)
* red and green pipe cleaners- for stringing the ornaments by color. Don't have silver and gold in my stash at the moment. (in large packs that I already had on hand)

One of the things I love about this sensory bin is that it hits 4 of the senses. It is my first bin to do that. Also, as far as touch goes, there are more textures in this one I think then there have been before. There is plastic, metal, stone, paper, fabric, wood and then whatever category the pine cones and peas fall into.

Want to see Boogie's other sensory bins?

Thanksgiving/November
Halloween/October
Back to School/September

Want to see what else Boogie is up to?

Christmas Tot Trays
Christmas green, glittery, peppermint play dough
Christmas Book Advent (and advent linky party!)

Linking up to these great parties!

15 comments:

  1. Great sensory bin! I made my first one this week with similar ideas and items that are in yours too. My 4 and 2 year old loved it.Thanks for sharing. I am visiting from TGFI linky party.
    Trina
    http://teachingmyblessings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun Christmas sensory bin!! I just want to dig in myself =-) Thanks for linking up to TGIF! See you next week,
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your sensory bin! So many cool things to do and explore. I love the idea of putting the empty peppermint extract bottle in there for him to play with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a beautiful blog. :)

    If its not too much to ask, can you please go through the rules of my event > Jingle All The Way and link your post there? Would love to have your post on my space. Thanks!

    Kavi | Edible Entertainment
    Ongoing events:
    Jingle All The Way &
    Microwave Easy Cooking

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love sensory bins! Thanks for sharing at Brag Time Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. New follower from Brag Time Thursday Blog Hop! (I linked up late this week I think. LOL)

    I've thought about adding sensory bins to my youngests schooling, but I haven't. They look so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've done sensory bins a couple times and my kids loved them! Thanks for sharing this, I'll be making this one for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your sensory bin - as usual! Congratulations on incorporating all 4 senses! Thanks for linking up with Montessori Monday. I added your post to my Montessori-Inspired Christmas Activities at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2011/11/28/montessori-monday-montessori-inspired-christmas-activities/

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great sensory bin! Thank you for sharing it at Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. we made a winter version of this! so fun aren't they? thanks for linking up to tip-toe thru tuesday! hope to see you again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks like a great bin with so much variety and color. I don't know why I have never done one. I need to. Thanks for sharing on Monday Madness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Deb, Carrie, Andie and Brooke! You all have such fun blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea!

    Hi! I'm a new follower every way I could find. I have also left you an Alexa review. You have a great site and hope you can get the chance to visit mine and return the favor. I also just posted the Winter Wonderland Blog Hop if you'd like to join! Thanks! www.adeliciousobsession.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this, I pinned it! I really want to do more sensory bins...I had so many big plans for Christmas activities this month, and well...it's been crazy, and we have not done to much 'formal' schooling. Maybe next year! Thanks for linking up at BTT!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had fun revisiting your post, Sierra! I featured your post and photo in my 40+ Christmas Sensory Tubs post at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2012/12/17/montessori-monday-40-plus-christmas-sensory-tubs/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to every comment either by using the reply function (so please subscribe to the comment thread or check back) or email (if you are a "no-reply blogger", it is an easy change).

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...