CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Chinese New Year Tot Trays

Roar! Happy Year of the Dragon! I know it is the Lunar New Year, and not just the Chinese New Year, but we celebrate Chinese New Year in our home, so that is what I am going with :)

Here are our trays for the week!

This first tray is supposed to have pictures of the animals on the takeout boxes and a matching mat for him to put the animals on after he takes them out. I haven't gotten that far yet and honestly might not this week. But I am going to be okay with it. Mostly, this is an open and close activity tray, with some fine motor work with the tabs. And he can pretend play with the animals. We will also discuss vocabulary (names of the animals and animal sounds). There were supposed to be all 12 animals but I could not find a rat (I thought I had one with our Halloween stuff but must have decided not to buy them) and forgot to get a rabbit. The assortment I have is from Target (Christmas clearance animal tubs for $5 each. I got the farm, sea, and wild sets) and the Dragons Toob because I tried and failed to resist. The snake was from Halloween.


I was inspired to do this idea when I saw this parasol wreath on Pinterest. I said to myself "Parasols! Chinese! Cheap!" or something like that :) Boogie enjoys sticking things in Styrofoam. There is fine motor work with opening and closing the parasols and poking them in the circle (and he loves circles! Score!), and there is counting and color matching work. We can count by color or total.


I saw this idea on Let's Go Fly a Kite, one of my new favorites. This is a fine motor transferring tray where Boogie uses the chopsticks to transfer the yarn lo mein into the bowls. Do you see the label on the take out box? BOOGIE'S BISTRO! How cute is that?! Besides fine motor and transferring, there is pretend play involved here. I love pretend play.


This is a transferring, pouring, dumping, spooning tray because those are some of Boogie's favorite things. And again I say, CHEAP! In one cup he has white rice and in the other he has soybeans. You can't get more Chinese food than that, can you?? He can do some sorting work too with the rice and soybeans. We could also count some rice or soybeans if we want to practice numbers, but that is not the main goal. I really need some prettier pouring containers, guys. And preferably not breakable. Like wood or plastic. Anyone have any suggestions?


Another simple tray that I think Boogie will really enjoy. There are 11 (there were supposed to be 12 but we were rushing home with dumplings and I miscounted like a dope) packets of duck and soy sauce. Boogie will use the tongs (fine motor, tonging) to sort them into the 2 bowls. We can use vocabulary (soy sauce, duck sauce) to identify how we are sorting them or name the colors. We can count them by total or type/color.


Pin It

These are probably the easiest trays I have ever put together and partly that is because they are not the trays I planned at all. I planned to do felt and foam and paper fortune cookies on a tray and have him sort by color and size and texture but I could NOT get the foam or paper to work. AT ALL! I gave up after a handful of tries. By then I was too frustrated to try the felt ones, which were probably the easiest and the ones I should have started with. Next year! And, like I said, I don't have the right number of some other things and the zodiac take out box tray is incomplete. But, there comes a point when I have to walk away, and I got to that point. I was busy getting the printables ready, so the trays got a bit shafted.

Speaking of printables, you can download the Chinese New Year printables I made on the top of my right sidebar :) Or, you can click here for the printables or here for the book.

Linking up to these great parties!

37 comments:

  1. Hey I just discovered your blog. You have some darling ideas. I just started a new homeschool blog roll and would love to have you link yours up.
    Http://teachbesideme.blogspot.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite and kind words, Karyn! I linked up :)

      Delete
  2. We love Toobs in our house! The takeout tray looks really fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think homeschool moms bought most of the Arctic toobs in the country since pretty much everyone seems to have one! Haha :)

      Delete
  3. Great ideas! So fun, cute, productive and simple all at the same time. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! and Creative! I would love for you to link up at our Chinese New Year Link Party over at THe Joys of Home Educating

    Melissa
    http://www.thejoysofhomeeducating.com/2012/01/chinese-new-year-party-and-link-up.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there a button or anything you would like me to use on my blog?

      Delete
  5. These tot trays are so awesome! What creative ideas you have! I'm coming over from My Shae Noel Link Party. You have such a fun blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wanted to hop over and thank you for linking up to my Enchanted Thursdays Blog Hop! You have so many creative ideas. I LOVE this tray that you put together for Chinese New Year. Your Chinese New Year Printables are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have a lot of fun with our themes each week :)

      Delete
  7. Your trays are great! I just spent way more time than I should have poking around on your site and pinning great ideas for my tot!

    Lisa
    Criss-Cross Applesauce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks, Lisa! I think "spent way more time than I should" and Pinterest are synonymous!

      Delete
  8. These are great ideas. I like how you got creative with the Chinese food, especially the sauce packets! Thanks for linking up to Thinky Linky Thursday!
    Lori @ Cachey Mama’s Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori! That was a last minute idea and it was a good one, thankfully :)

      Delete
  9. Thanks for sharing on fun frugal friday. I would love it if you stopped by again and shared some more ideas. I will be posting on friday mornings. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute ideas. Thanks for sharing and linking up with BTT!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A fun learning experience for sure!!! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Sharing Saturday.

    ~MiaB
    www.mamamiasheart2heart.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have had some seriously awesome Chinese New Year activities! I love Tot Trays! Thank you so much for linking up at Teach Me Tuesday -- I hope we see you again today!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sierra these turned out GREAT! LOVE LOVE LOVE them! Hoe does Boogie do with the chopsticks? Ellie loves using them but she needs some practice ;) Gong Hei Fat Choy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie! Thank you!! Boogie is very inconsistent with chopsticks. Sometimes he uses them exactly right, sometimes he kind of scoops under things and manages to get things into his mouth, sometimes he drops them on the floor and asks for a spoon or fork. Haha!

      Delete
  14. What clever ideas. I am so glad that you found my blog because I am so happy to have discovered yours!
    Take care and thanks for linking this post to my "All Things Wonderful Link Up". Come back again!
    Shauna
    myshaenoel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shauna! I am happy that I found your blog too :)

      Delete
  15. You should go to this website for pretty pouring materials, not to mention pretty much anything else you need, for practical skills. Very reasonable prices...actually it's more like CHEAP prices hahaha! Have fun!

    http://montessori-n-such.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love these ideas! I pinned these so I can use them for our next Lunar New Year's celebration! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you can use them! Your little boy is precious :)

      Delete
  17. I always love your creative activity trays, Sierra! I featured your Chinese New Year posts and open-and-close-tray photo in my Montessori-Inspired Chinese New Year Activities post at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2013/02/04/montessori-monday-montessori-inspired-chinese-new-year-activities/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to every comment either by using the reply function (so please subscribe to the comment thread or check back) or email (if you are a "no-reply blogger", it is an easy change).

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...