CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

DIY Light Box

After seeing these all over the blogosphere and Pinterest, I decided it was time to make a light box for Boogie.

My inspiration came from these DIY light box posts.

The Activity Mom
Teach Preschool (post 1, post 2, post 3)
No Time For Flascards

Materials:
* tupperware box
* aluminum foil
* wax paper
* tape
* lights (battery operated, flashlights, or Christmas lights if they don't contain lead. Ours did so we started over with battery operated lights and a flashlight.)

Directions:

Decide whether you want the surface to be your lid or bottom. We used the bottom because there were fewer markings.

Line the surface with waxed paper inside.

Line all other sides (inside) with aluminum foil.

Put your lights in! Easy peasy! And we had all the supplies on hand!

So far, we have used take and toss containers...




And colored water with eyedroppers. To do the water activity, I put another clear storage container on top of the light box then used small glass bowls for each color.



Boogie is loving this!

Pin It

26 comments:

  1. Stopping by from Teach Me Tuesday......

    I have seen this activity so many times! It looks like huge fun. We're just going to have to get it together and get a few of the materials we don't already have. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Cynthia! It really is a great, frugal way to give your kids a new kind of sensory play.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for your post that helped inspire it :)

      Delete
  3. I love how you used the sippy cups on top of the box! We did a light box a few weeks ago, and I think we will be doing it again--frequently! Thanks for linking up at Teach Me Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome! I really need to make this! I had no idea some Christmas lights had lead in them! I have a ton so I'll have to look and see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about the lead either! Isn't that awful? I think we need to get all new lights next year. Hope you have fun making your box!

      Delete
  5. Clever clever you!! Fab idea!

    Thank you for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  6. So easy. I guess my mistake was not using aluminum foil. I will have to try it again :) Thanks for linking up to Thinky Linky Thursday!
    Lori @ Cachey Mama’s Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good idea to use those sippies. I have wanted to try this activity as well, just haven't gotten around to it. Thanks for sharing on Monday Madness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and for hosting :) I definitely recommend trying a light box.

      Delete
  8. http://kreativeactivities.blogspot.com/2012/01/light-table.html
    This is the light box I made - super easy and cheap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Leeanne, yours looks a lot prettier than mine! Maybe someday I will have time to make a nicer one like that! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the clear directions and links to other ideas for creating a light box. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

    ReplyDelete
  10. awesome! i've been meaning to make one of these for bear, but just haven't done it. maybe this will give me motivation! this is also going to be featured tomorrow/today at tip-toe thru tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! I just wanted to let you know that this was one of the most clicked on links at last week's Teach Me Tuesday linky party! I hope we see you again this week! Also, you're welcome to grab a featured button, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just a quick THANK YOU for linking up last week with Thrifty Thursday! I have been wanting to do one of these, they look so fun!!

    http://www.playingwithwords365.com/category/thrifty-thursday/

    ReplyDelete
  13. So awesome!! After seeing a few of these.. I'm going to have to do this with my daughter :) Thanks for linking up to Sharing Saturday.

    ~MiaB
    www.mamamiasheart2heart.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to every comment either by using the reply function (so please subscribe to the comment thread or check back) or email (if you are a "no-reply blogger", it is an easy change).

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...