CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, January 27, 2012

Fave Five Friday- All things Chinese New Year!

Xin Nian Kuai Le!

As you can tell from the pictures in my sidebar, and as most people can tell just by looking at my boys, my husband is Asian (Taiwanese). I was very excited to celebrate Chinese New Year with Boogie this year, when he could participate in some fun activities. This week's Fave Five Friday highlights five Chinese New Year/Year of the Dragon posts that Boogie and I have not gotten to either because of time, lack of resources, or his age.

If you have been following my blog for any length of time, you know that we LOVE sensory bins. Boogie loves them and I love making them. I love the idea of a Chinese New Year sensory bin and Jessica at Little Tiger Growing Up made an awesome Chinese New Year themed one. Our winter sensory bin was already out when she posted this, so I pinned this to do next year, maybe. She has actually been doing a ton of activities leading up to the Chinese New Year, so if you are still looking for ideas, check out her site.



Melissa at The Joys of Home Educating also has a lot of Chinese New Year ideas, including a party for 8 for $13.50! The idea that I most wanted to do but didn't get to, was making felt fortune cookies. I first saw something like this on Martha Stewart's site, but they required floral wire. Melissa made them easy and frugal by using pipe cleaners! Genius! She also has a Chinese New Year link party (same link) where other people are sharing great ideas.


When I discovered Let's Go Fly a Kite, I fell in love with the site and especially the Chinese play food. I love pretend play with Boogie, and he is passionate about dumplings right now. I just couldn't find the time or energy this year. When I have some time, I am definitely going to get on the felt food bandwagon, though, because it is adorable.


Man, there were so many things I wanted to do and just not enough time in the day! I love love love these dinosaur tails from Running With Scissors. These fit into my theme today because they look like dragon tails to me! Aren't they awesome! Boogie would love wrecking havoc on the playroom, and every other room, in the house with one of these!


And, last, but not least, from Fairy Dust Teaching, a very frugal and very classic idea turned into a Chinese New Year activity- play dough! Make it red and add some glitter and how festive is that? Again, I don't really want to make more than one batch of play dough a month any more than I want to make more than one sensory bin a month and our snow play dough, flop that it is, was already made. I can just imagine Boogie making dragons out of this and loving it!



How have you celebrated Chinese New Year this year? I would love for you to share in the comments!


For more Chinese New Year fun, check out our Chinese New Year tot trays, Chinese New Year printables, Chinese New Year colors book (Red Dragon, Red Dragon, What Do You See?), or my Chinese New Year Pinterest board!

Disclaimer: I am not adding a "pin it" button to this page because these are not my ideas or creations and I am linking to posts, not pins. If you would like to pin these fabulous ideas, please make sure you click the link and pin them from the originating site! And you should go check out these awesome sites anyway :)

6 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the shout out and showing off our Fortune Cookies....changing the felt to pink and maybe adding a paper saying inside would be cute for Valentine's day also! Be blessed and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! You're right about them working for Valentine's Day too. What a good idea!

      Delete
  2. I love the bin and I have the same tails in my favorites on etsy right now:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would really like one of those tails for Boogie! I am thinking of doing a dinosaur-themed first birthday for Bam Bam, so maybe Boogie needs one for the party :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for the kind words and feature. Chinese New Year is not only a wonderful celebration to beat the January blahs, but a very special teaching opportunity for children. I love all of the ideas you have featured, those dragon tails are so creative! I am working on some felt dim sum, hope to finish it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so crazy crafty with felt! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to every comment either by using the reply function (so please subscribe to the comment thread or check back) or email (if you are a "no-reply blogger", it is an easy change).

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...