CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, January 20, 2012

Fave Five Friday- All things Snow!

I got this idea from the wonderful and creative Lisa at Criss-Cross Applesauce. Each week she posts her five favorite pins about a certain theme. I thought it was a great way to encourage fellow bloggers, so I am starting my own weekly series to highlight posts that inspired me for the week, but that Boogie and I didn't get around to either because of time, lack of supplies/resources or because he is too young.

Since Boogie and I have been learning about snow this week, here are five awesome snow-related posts! I don't know if this will always be the case, but this week all five posts are free or use items that you could get at the dollar store! Woo hoo!

I am not adding a "pin it" button to this page because these are not my ideas or creations and I am linking to posts, not pins. If you would like to pin these fabulous ideas, please make sure you click the link and pin them from the originating site! And you should go check out these awesome sites anyway :)

This is a great freebie from Playing with Words 365. We love Eric Carle and Bill Martin Jr. over here and anything that imitates Polar Bear, Polar Bear What Do You See? is an instant hit with Boogie. We have not done this mini-book yet but I hope we will get to it this winter sometime.


I love simple gross motor skill activities that go along with our weekly themes! This snowflake racing game from Raising Little Rhodies is one of those activities. The child holds a straw, chooses a snowflake, and blows the snowflake to the finish line, racing with the parent or a sibling. Such a great idea!


I have seen this next idea several different ways over the past few months but we haven't tried it yet. Boogie is not big on painting if his fingers are going to get messy. I keep trying things in the hopes that he will discover his messier side and make some awesome art projects like this painting. I think it is called a resist painting? Not sure. Frugal Family Fun shared this and it is just beautiful. Make a snowflake with masking tape, let your toddler explode paint everywhere, let it dry, then peel away the masking tape. Love it!



Another gross motor activity! Creative Connections for Kids shared the idea of using gloves and a wiffle ball with velcro to play catch with a child who doesn't quite know how to catch yet. If you get a white ball and white velcro, you can call it an indoor snowball fight!


And lastly, I am citing two posts because they did different things with the same printable.

We Can Do All Things came up with this great way to use printable snowflakes from Childcareland.com
for fine motor skills work and color matching/recognition using buttons. She also has a more recent post using the same snowflakes for number matching and recognition. Brittney at Mom's Heart liked the idea and elaborated on it further to teach word families with letter beads. She used them for color matching as well, but used multiple colors on each snowflakes and pom poms instead of buttons, then went on to use colored clothespins as well. So that is five different ways you can use one free printable! Awesome!

We Can Do All Things
We Can Do All Things
Mom's Heart
Mom's Heart
Mom's Heart
For more winter fun, check out my winter pinterest board

What are your favorite snow-related crafts, activities, books or games? I would love for you to share in the comments!



12 comments:

  1. Thank you SO much for the cyber love! My kids have had so much fun with the snowflake races that we've created new ways to play it and are keeping it in our bin for another month!

    ...danielle - raising little rhodies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Danielle! It was a great idea and definitely worth sharing! I love finding new ways to use the same ideas or materials.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing our word families and color matching! I love seeing how many activities I can get out of one item, and this snowflake was a hit in our house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Brittney! I am amazed at all the mileage you have gotten out of one simple printable! You are so thrifty and very creative too.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing my book!! :) I shared this post on facebook page...these are all FANTASTIC ideas, and I LOVE this new series, Sierra! Can't wait to see what you share every week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this on facebook, Katie! You are one of my cheerleaders :) I am always excited to see the freebies you share on Fridays and they are always awesome!

      Delete
  4. the velcro ball and mitten activity is brilliant! pinning it now! thanks for linking up last week!

    andie @ crayonfreckles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you found something for Bear! I know he is a bit older than Boogie.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the kind words! Great picks for winter activities. My tot and preschooler would love the snowflake race!

    Lisa
    Criss-Cross Applesauce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Lisa! And for inspiring a fun series to write :)

      Delete
  6. Thank you for teaching me about pinterest. It is so cool and I love your winter pins. I will repin many of them! Thanks for the great selections!

    Carolyn
    inspiredmontessori.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn! Pinterest is SOO addicting but it is such a great sharing tool. And it is fun, too, isn't it?!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to every comment either by using the reply function (so please subscribe to the comment thread or check back) or email (if you are a "no-reply blogger", it is an easy change).

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...