CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Football Tot Trays

Are you ready for some football?? We sure are! In honor of Superbowl Sunday, Boogie  has been enjoying football themed tot trays this week.

What's on the tray? I thought you'd  never ask!

This first tray uses football themed cookie cutters as stencils. Boogie has never used colored pencils, so I think he will be excited. There are fine motor skills involved with coloring and tracing. We can count the stencils and/or the crayons. We can talk about colors. We will learn some vocabulary, like "trophy", "jersey", and "pennant" or "flag."


This is another variation of the good old drop and dump. Boogie can put the pencils in the holes, with or without the erasers on. He can put the erasers through the other side. He can take the top on and off. He can dump things out either through the larger opening or by taking the top off. He can put the erasers on and off the pencils. Lots of fine motor work and hand eye coordination. We can also count the football erasers and/or the pencils.  


This is a pouring and sorting tray.  Boogie can pour the football and star confetti from the cup (which you can't see but it is sports themed) to the helmet and vice versa. He can sort the footballs and stars onto the correct larger versions. We can talk about the colors of the footballs and the stars. We can count how many of each he sorts. I think the pouring/dumping is going to be more fun for him then the sorting/counting, but we will see. There is a lot of fine motor work with this tray too, because the confetti is not easy to pick up!


More fine motor work! These rings were from the cupcakes we got on Boogie's birthday in October. I knew I would use them for something! Boogie can string them on to a football field green pipe cleaner. We can sort by helmets and footballs. We can count by total or by helmets/footballs. We can talk about the colors of the helmets, footballs, and pipe cleaner. He can also wear the rings.


This is a fine motor poking tray. I got the green Styrofoam specifically so I could make it look like a football field :) I used white paint to make the lines and endzones, not very carefully but Boogie is just going to poke the whole thing to pieces anyway. I am interested to see if he pokes on the lines or not. I was going to put numbers and stuff but we have been busy! I like the pipe cleaner goal posts. We can count the footballs as we poke them and take them out and poke them again.


Can you tell I had a lot of fun with these trays? I was going to do mittens this week and then realized I couldn't miss the opportunity to celebrate football with Boogie! My husband and I are a combination of Giants (me), Eagles (him), and Colts (both. Who doesn't like Peyton Manning?! Please play next year, Peyton!) fans, so I am excited for the game :) I could not find any football Montessori activities so I had to kind of invent the wheel. I mostly used stuff I had on hand, with a little help from Party City, which is my go to for random special occasions.

Linking up to these great parties!

Pin It

18 comments:

  1. This is awesome!!! I love it! My husband is a football coach and these are great activities and ideas. I did a "football" theme/unit this past fall with my boys and we had a lot of fun! I hope you guys do have fun this week with all of your amazing trays!

    BTW, I've been meaning to ask you, where do you find/buy your trays?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Trina! How fun that your husband is a football coach! My husband would looooove to do that.

      Delete
  2. We're not into football very much, but this looks FUN! Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you! I had fun looking through my stuff and figuring out what to do with it :)

      Delete
  4. Superbowl! Superbowl! Superbowl! I love those little football helmets that you can thread onto the pipe-cleaners--where did you find them? These activities look so fun--thanks for sharing this post at Teach Me Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The helmets are rings from the top of cupcakes at Shop Rite. I would ask at the bakery where they get their cupcake topper rings. Thanks for hosting TMT :)

      Delete
  5. So cute and lots of fun!

    Thank you for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful ideas! My only question is, where do you store all your materials? LOL Thanks for linking up to Thinky Linky Thursday!
    Lori @ Cachey Mama’s Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori! Hahaha! You are not the first one to ask me that. I think I will write a post and include some pictures. Basically, it is all stored in a large cabinet in my kitchen, on a 5 or 6 foot shelving unit in our laundry room, and in 2 large plastic drawer sets also in our laundry room.

      Delete
  7. I love your trays, I think my girls would be particularly interested in tracing those cookie cutters. I need to pull mine out for this. Thanks for sharing on Monday Madness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brooke. I was pretty excited when I saw the idea on someone else's blog awhile ago about cookie cutters. So easy!

      Delete
  8. You have the BEST tray ideas Sierra!! LOVE them!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to every comment either by using the reply function (so please subscribe to the comment thread or check back) or email (if you are a "no-reply blogger", it is an easy change).

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...