CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, January 28, 2012

New Feature!


I am very excited to start a new feature starring you! My wonderful readers!

My husband and I have been talking a lot about the blogs that I follow and how I am writing my blog. I feel like I have a blog persona that is mostly me but it is like me air-brushed. You guys see all the great activities, projects and ideas, and my kids at their cutest or funniest or smartest. What you don't see, because I don't share it as often, are all the moments that make me question myself- my decisions, my abilities, my strength, my intelligence, my patience, my parenting and my sanity...or lack thereof.

I think I don't blog about these things very often because I feel weak when I do. But, I feel like in the past few weeks a lot of people have been sharing more about their struggles and mistakes in parenting, crafting, and homeschooling. The new year has brought out a desire to be more transparent, I think. I find it really encouraging to see that I am not the only one who doesn't do things right all the time. And based on the responses to these honest posts, other people are encouraged too!

I love the blogs that have pretty pictures and perfect final projects but I think that the process, complete with tantrums, mistakes, and messes, makes for much more fun and interesting reading. So, I am making a resolution to be more transparent in my blogging, starting with this post.

And then, hopefully, you guys come in! It came to me this week that I would love to host a guest post series where bloggers share about struggles they are having or something that didn't go as planned. We all have those moments and I think it helps to share them- it helps us to put a positive or humorous spin on an otherwise negative topic, it humbles us a little bit and makes our blogs more real and relateable, and it helps others who have done the same thing to know they are not alone.

I have several ideas for what to call this series, but would love for you to be involved in naming it, so I am putting it to a vote! Please cast your vote using the poll in the sidebar (top right), and then continue reading because I am going to share first to get the ball rolling.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

I got it in my head that it would be an awesome idea to have Boogie make a craft to put into our Christmas card with our family picture. On top of making handprint salt dough ornaments. On top of making handprint snowman ornaments. On top of making silhouettes. On top of wrapping a million presents. On top of making a million cookies. On top of raising two children, cooking and cleaning, spending time with my husband, going to church, buying groceries and diapers...Did I mention that we are busy?

I don't know what I was thinking. Well, that's not entirely true. What I was thinking about was the positive response we would get. The astonished "How do you do it all?!" comments that mommies love.

And so, I printed out pages with Christmas tree layouts, taped them down inside a printer paper box top from my brother's work, and set up the materials for marble painting. My plan was that Boogie would marble paint then glitter the trees, I would laminate and hole punch them, stick half a pipe cleaner through, and label them with his name and the year on the back. Simple. Fun. Frugal. Perfect!

Until it wasn't. Boogie was not in the mood to marble paint. I begged and bribed. He just wasn't into it. I barely managed, with a lot of fake enthusiasm, to get him to do the ones in the box. I thought to myself, "We'll just do a set a day for ten days. It will get done." Then, because I am so obliging, I thought, "Well, at least we'll send them to family. Every day for a week then."

We were sending out around 100 Christmas cards, more than half of which were family. Hubby-Man's family, my mom's family, my dad's family, my step-family. Boogie would suck it up and they would get done!

While I was trying to clean stuff up, Boogie was having a meltdown. He wanted to dump the glitter and paint covered project on the floor or something similarly destructive.

"NOT THE ORNAMENTS!" I screamed in my head and decided to laminate them right away.

And that is when God allowed me to be brought back to my senses.

Have any of you tried laminating a project right after making it? Specifically, a project with paint and glitter? Let me tell you from personal experience...DON'T! Basically, everything oozed out of the laminating packets. Red glitter and red and green paint. Directly on the rollers of the laminator.

And that is when I realized that I was being a crazy control freak and needed to take a step back and let Boogie set the agenda for our time together.

Hubby-Man was able to fix the laminator with a lot more patience than I showed in destroying it and with the help of a q-tip and some water.

Do I still get obsessive and crazy sometimes? Yes. But I don't want to be that mom. That is not the mom that Boogie and Bam Bam need. And when I remember that day it does help me to re-focus on what is important- spending quality time with my boys even if there is no one else around to complement Boogie or praise me.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *  

If you would like to participate in this series (running on Sundays), please email me at hisforhomeschooling {at} gmail {dot} com!


4 comments:

  1. My children often bring me back to my senses and humble me too. I think this will be a very encouraging series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brittney! I am glad you want to be a part of it :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome job, Sierra!!! Love this post and your tender heart. Thanks for sharing so vulnerably with us. Can't wait to read more of this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Trina! I wanted to do another post this past Sunday leading up to yours, but the Super Bowl and all that. Just didn't happen. I look forward to seeing what you share about!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to every comment either by using the reply function (so please subscribe to the comment thread or check back) or email (if you are a "no-reply blogger", it is an easy change).

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...