CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Tot School- I is for Ice and Igloos

**Boogie is 27 months old**

There were so many great resources for doing winter activities with the letter I! I was actually really surprised. A very picture heavy post to share all the fun things we did :)

Boogie really enjoyed the tot trays last week.

By far the most popular tray was the one with actual ice. He dumped and poured, licked and smelled, slid them across the floor, spooned and tonged them. We counted them and talked about how cold they were. Highly recommend this as a great sensory tray activity!






 

 

Thank goodness he never tried eating these! We tried to build with the marshmallows but it didnt go very well. He spooned them and tried using chopsticks too.

 





 

He enjoyed the ice fishing a couple times and I told him what the letters were.

 


I counted through the numbers on the flat marbles with him. He would pick up a marble, I would tell him what the number was and he would repeat it, then we would count up to that number and I showed him where it was in the tray.

 

 

His least favorite tray.
He has been spending time exploring his winter sensory bin, too.



Mack hauling around an igloo. As one does.

Trying to blow out the candle.
He has enjoyed his snow play dough, even though it was a bit of a flop as far as whiteness and glitterfication go.




And we did a ton of printables because he was really into them this week. The worksheets came from the letter I tot school printables at 1+1+1=1, the letter I printables at Confessions of a Homeschooler, and the letter I Bible verse printables from Songs for Saplings at Totally Tots.

Here is all the igloo and winter work from 1+1+1=1 first.

I made laminated mats to go with her tot school themed printables because I thought it was wasteful to print out two sets each time. Her shape printables and number printables are always the same sizes so I just traced them, placed them where I wanted to on paper, colored, then laminated them. The colored parts work as a code so if Boogie is struggling, especially with the numbers, I can tell him a color to help him find the right spot. I might use velcro on the shapes mat and on the backs of the shape pieces so everything stays where it belongs because there were times when he got frustrated that things were sliding around.

As you can see, we did a lot of our worksheets on the floor in the living room this week. That was easier when Bam Bam was awake because there is the most space for him to roll in there. He's rolling through the background in a lot of pictures :)





 



 

Matching winter items and learning new vocabulary.
 



He did so well with his color recognition work!
Confessions of a Homeschooler letter I page.


Totally Tots printables for Songs for Saplings. The Bible verse this week was "May my prayer be set before you like incense" (Psalm 141:2).



Besides our sensory bins, trays, and worksheets, we did some other fun activities using ice.

Painting with colored ice. 


Mini-sensory bin with colored water, ice cubes, ice from rice bowls, and the arctic toob. This kept Boogie busy for around an hour and he would have kept playing, but his hands were turning incredibly red and wrinkly.


We talked about how a wolf howls at the moon. This turned into the wolf jumping over the moon.
Using the igloo to dump and pour.
Bam Bam has realized that he loves to hold toys and eat them and throw them, so we spend a lot of time playing fetch for his chunky little royal highness.


But we all love him so it's okay :)

For more ice and igloo ideas, check out my winter Pinterest board!

Linking up to Tot School at 1+1+1=1.

18 comments:

  1. Our icy sensory tub was the favorite in our house too! I'm not sure of the appeal, as my hands get cold just looking through my freezer for a few seconds, but little ones seem to love the ice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I don't understand it either. But it keeps Boogie happy :)

      Delete
  2. so fun! Shared this link over at We Teach - Alphabet Group.
    http://www.weteachgroup.com/group/weteachthealphabet/forum/topics/what-letter-are-you-working-on-right-now-link-up-your-letter

    ReplyDelete
  3. new follower! I found you from Activity Mom. Love all of these ice themed activities. I have a two year old little boy, too.

    Jen
    Creative and Curious Kids!
    http://raisingcreativeandcuriouskids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boys are the best! I hope you guys have fun with the ice theme!

      Delete
  4. Awesome ideas!!!! We worked with ice this morning too! My boys had a blast with it! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do kids like ice so much?! I do not like being cold! Hope you have a great weekend too :)

      Delete
  5. Love the mini-sensory bin and the printables. Looks like he had heaps of fun! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to link to you from my blog today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blog and creative ideas! What a wonderful mother and teacher you are!

    Teaching Blog Addict
    ♥Teaching with TLC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great ideas! We are on letter C this week but I will definitely remember the ice cubes...love that! We are your newest followers!
    Cari
    twosasters.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the ideas. My 19 month old & I played with ice this past week. She loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to hear that! Thanks for letting me know :)

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to every comment either by using the reply function (so please subscribe to the comment thread or check back) or email (if you are a "no-reply blogger", it is an easy change).

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...