CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Winter Sensory Bin

FINALLY! Here is our winter sensory bin! It only took me forever and a day to post it. I don't have a picture with natural lighting before Boogie got to it, but it is still pretty.  I went with things that reminded me of snow, winter or one of the Poles, as well as things that were white, silver, blue and/or sparkly.

Pin It


So, what's in the bin?


* cotton balls- base (dumping, pouring and transferring.)
* polar bear bath squirt toy- pretend play (from a set Boogie got ages ago)
* stuffed polar bear- pretend play (my mom gave it to him from a happy meal)
* artic toob- pretend play, counting, color recognition, expand vocabulary (bought at Michaels with a coupon for $5)
* pipe cleaner snowflakes- counting points (used 3 or 4 pipe cleaners for each one from a $2 set from Michaels)
* blue and white/clear/star flat marbles- counting, sorting by color or shape (we already had some and we bought some at Michaels. I think a small bag was $3)
* Styrofoam balls- counting (Michaels. A couple dollars)
* Small pack of snowflake embellishments- counting total or by color, sorting by color (Michaels clearance after Christmas)
* sparkly white and blue pom poms- counting by total or type, sorting by color or size (Michaels. A couple dollars)
* white measuring cup and measuring scoop- scooping, dumping, pouring, transferring, fine motor (Target. $1.99 for a complete set of cups and spoons by Chefmate.)

The following items were from the Christmas sensory bin or Christmas tot trays if you are interested in knowing where I bought them or how much they cost.
* silver bells- counting, sound
* electric candle- light, fine motor
* silver mini bows (they look kind of like snowflakes!)- counting
* small plastic silver ornaments- sorting by shiny and glittery, counting

* winter erasers- counting by total or type, sorting
* snowman box- opening and closing, dumping and pouring
* snowman pegs- counting

And then from the Back to School sensory bin and Thanksgiving sensory bin
* pine cones- counting

So, I reused a lot of items, or already had them on hand. Score!

The Christmas sensory bin appealed to more of the senses, but this one does have a lot of textures to explore. It is the first time I have used something soft and fluffy as a base, so we will see how that goes. 

If you would like to see Boogie's other sensory bins, please see my sensory bin page.

Linking up to these great parties!

22 comments:

  1. LOVE your sensory bin! My boys have enjoyed our winter sensory bin this week too. I also used the same winter erasers, which my boys have loved. Hope your boys have a blast with their sensory bin this week! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trina! Did you see that the Dollar Tree has Valentine erasers now too?

      Delete
    2. Hi. I have not seen those yet. May have to run over there soon. I did see some really cute Valentine's day things in the dollar section at Target this weekend.

      Delete
    3. I got a few things from Target's dollar section too! Our Target doesn't have all their Valentine's Day stuff out yet, but I have heard they have packs of smaller erasers that would be great for counters.

      Delete
  2. That is a beautiful sensory bin! It's just so visually appealing. Lots of great stuff to play with in there too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! You've been doing some awesome stuff with Liam too!

      Delete
  3. Very fun...so many great things to look at and touch! It looks awesome!

    Brittney
    www.moms-heart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brittney! Still think yours is my favorite :)

      Delete
  4. Great idea! Lots of fun thank you for your link ups to Thematic Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, I love the idea of a thematic link up! I am looking forward to seeing what everyone posts for Valentine's Day.

      Delete
  5. Great collection of items for this tray! Thanks for sharing. We have made a snow sensory tray with blended ice cubes. doesn't last long but great fun while its frozen!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I want to try a sensory activity with blended ice this week. We will see how it goes! Not sure my blender is up for it!

      Delete
  6. Hi! I am beyond excited to have found your blog! These sensory bins look like the perfect answer on how to keep my 3 year old engaged and busy while I homeschool her 4 older sisters. I think she will love exploring the boxes. I am already starting to think about what I can put in a February box. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I could help, Joyce! I am following your blog now and am going to use some of your menu ideas. I am in a meal planning rut! But boy do I have good ideas for Valentine's Day! Too bad we can't eat them :P

      Delete
  7. this looks great! i bet he had soo much fun playing with it! thanks for linking up last week!

    andie @ crayonfreckles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He hasn't played with it much, but he played with it a long time the first time. I think I had more fun making this one than he has had playing with it!

      Delete
  8. Wonderful bin, looks like loads of fun to play with. You always come up with such great bins and trays to explore. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful collection for your winter sensory bin!! LOVE it! Thanks for linking up to TGIF! Have a great week,
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so pretty!!! I totally have to try these sensory tubs!!! Thanks so much for sharing this with us on Sharing Saturday.

    ~MiaB
    www.mamamiasheart2heart.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do try them, Mia! They are so much fun! The more people who do sensory bins, the more ideas there are to borrow :)

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to every comment either by using the reply function (so please subscribe to the comment thread or check back) or email (if you are a "no-reply blogger", it is an easy change).

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...