CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Winter Tot Trays (I is for ice and igloo)

This week we are doing the letter I and focusing on ice and igloos. It took me awhile to come up with trays for this theme but once I got some ideas, I had a lot of fun.

So, what's on the tray?

Pin It

This first tray is going to go over very well, I am sure. Boogie loves water in all forms, and is constantly asking for ice in his drink, even if it is milk. This is a sensorial tray as well as a fine motor tray. We can count ice cubes, dump and pour ice, feel how cold it is, watch it melt, and transfer it using the ice tongs. 


I got the idea for this next tray from Coming Home and then saw it at Joyfully Weary as well. Remember this game?! Don't Break the Ice! On Amazon it is 15 or 20 dollars, but it is 6 at Target right now if you are interested. This is a fine motor tray (stacking, using the hammers to break the ice) and a counting tray.


The main point of this tray is a bit hard to see, but I numbered white and blue flat marbles and an ice cube tray from the Target dollar spot. Boogie can match the numbered "ice cubes" to the openings. This tray works on number recognition, counting, and matching. It also works on fine motor skills to get the marbles face up in the holes or to use the spoon to scoop them. We can also sort the marbles by color.


This is another idea I got from Coming Home. She used sugar cubes but mini marshmallows were less expensive and I can eat the ones we don't use :) The idea of this tray is to transfer the "ice cubes" from the container or the center to the circles. Boogie still loves circles. I gave Boogie a lot of options for scooping, spooning, and transferring. I have also tried several times, unsuccessfully, to build igloos out of them. Sugar cubes would have been better for igloo-building work. We can count the marshmallows as well. AND they smell wonderful.


And this is another idea from Joyfully Weary.  Isn't it brilliant!? Ice fishing! So cute. This works fine motor skills with the fishing pole. We will also work on letter recognition and we can count the fish.


As usual, we have our playdough on a tray. The cookie cutters this month are stars (for snowflakes), a bear (polar bear) and a snowman. There are also two Eskimos from his arctic toob so that he can make snow tracks.


You can find more fun winter ideas on my winter/snow pinterest board.

Linking up to these great parties!

40 comments:

  1. Great group of trays! Going to borrow your ice cube tonging/pouring idea - my boys will LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think every child loves tonging and pouring! Glad you could use one of my ideas since I use so many of yours :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome ideas!! I love the "tray" concept. I am trying to think of ways to do this more with my little ones. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Trina! I really like how trays contain the mess and how it has taught Boogie to clean up one thing before moving on to the next. It makes the day run more smoothly!

      Delete
  3. Just found you via a linky party and I'm your newest follower! :) Love your precious blog and great ideas. God Bless. Bek @ Just For Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas, thanks for sharing! Love the ice cube tray, I'm pretty sure my daughter will spend heaps of time on this one. Your newest follower, Lauzi @ Happy Little Munchkins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been pinning ideas from your blog since discovering it! I am glad we can inspire each other :)

      Delete
  5. Great trays, as usual, Sierra ... fun activities for an Arctic unit! I featured your "igloo" building photo and post at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2012/01/12/montessori-inspired-arctic-and-antarctic-unit/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ice fishing...I love it! That is a much warmer way to go ice fishing than how my dad used to do it in Northern Minnesota! Thanks for linking up with Brag Time Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness! Indoor ice fishing is the only way I will ice fish! Haha!

      Delete
  7. Cool blog.I found you on Happy-Go-Lucky's blog. I home school too and I look forward to reading more of your blog posts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great trays! Wheels' favorite would definitely be the ice transfer/pouring activity. he would also enjoy eating the marshmallows :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't tell Boogie that the marshmallows were edible and he didn't figure it out, thankfully! Playing with ice is such a fun sensory activity!

      Delete
  9. I just love activity trays!!! from stephanie @ beansprouts preschool blog : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by and sharing some of my ideas on your blog :) Sorry I missed your linky party but I just saw your comment :( Thanks for the invite I will be sure to come back and check you out more often now that I know you are here :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is great! Brave mama for homeschooling! Would you please share this with our readers for Fun Stuff Fridays? http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/01/fun-stuff-fridays-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great trays!! : ) I am now following

    ReplyDelete
  13. What great ideas for my 2's and 3's classes! I followed you hear from Thematic Thursday Linky Party. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you can use them! I have been enjoying your blog too.

      Delete
  14. Hi there!! Thank you for following Tot Treasures!! I have been a follower of your blog for a little while now. :) Love the tray ideas and I will be sure to try them out this week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, these are some great ideas! Thanks for linking up both of your posts on Thinky Linky Thursday! I especially love your winter sensory bin. I have been trying to get ideas from it today as I have been putting one together for my little guy!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting! Your sensory bin turned out great!

      Delete
  16. that fishing one is my favorite! how fun is that? thanks again for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I found the fishing idea. The internet is a wonderful thing!

      Delete
  17. What fun trays - love the fishing activity!!! We are totally going to have to try that. Thanks for linking up to TGIF! Have a great week,
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. cute tray ideas. Thanks for sharing on Monday Madness.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So much fun!!! These ideas are great. I'm your newest follower.. thanks so much for sharing this with us on Sharing Saturday.

    ~MiaB
    www.mamamiasheart2heart.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. awesome trays - love the ice fishing. I am working on something similar with sight words!

    Thanks for sharing on the Sunday Showcase - hope to see you this week.

    Bern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bern! I am sure your girls would love fishing for sight words, too! That's a great spin on it.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to every comment either by using the reply function (so please subscribe to the comment thread or check back) or email (if you are a "no-reply blogger", it is an easy change).

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...