CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, January 16, 2012

Winter Tot Trays (S is for Snow) and Books

I  have been pinning ideas for winter tot trays for a few weeks now, and I knew that I wanted to do a letter I week and a letter S week. So here are the trays that I decided to do for our week about snow, snowflakes, and snowmen. 

Without further ado, what's on the tray?

This idea came from Discovery Days and Montessori Moments and I copied it pretty exactly. This is fine motor work- Boogie will use the tongs to flip the snowflakes. We can also count the snowflakes and identify the colors of the mini snowflakes in the center.


This is a pretty standard tonging tray so I didn't specifically get the idea from anywhere. The sparkly pom poms are supposed to be like snowballs or snowflakes :) We used the ice cube tray
(Target Dollar Spot) for our ice tot trays last week but I took off the numbers. Boogie can tong them into the ice cube tray to practice his fine motor skills. We can count the pom poms by total or by color. We can sort them by color. Boogie can make patterns with the colors in the tray, with a lot of help because he doesn't really get patterns yet. There is 1:1 correspondence work too.


I got this idea from Jada Roo Can Do. I loved the idea of a button turkey for our Thanksgiving tot trays and this is such a clever twist. Boogie had a lot of trouble with the feathers and the turkey at Thanksgiving but that was a couple months ago so I want to see if he can do it now. So this is fine motor work and color matching. The hat also comes off and goes back on with velcro. You can go sew-less with this and just use a glue gun, which I did at first, but then I wanted to keep the integrity of the circles and it was a bit flimsy with just the glue gun holding the three of them in place. I double-layered the white felt. I sewed the buttons on with matching thread. I really llike how it turned out. 


I got this idea from The Work Plan, where they used a hot cocoa paper punch. This is fine motor work with punching the snowflake out. We can count the snowflakes we make and the snowflake shaped hole in the paper. We can identify the three wintery colors and sort by color. We can count by color or total.


This next idea came from Tons of Fun. It is a snowman assembly tray with some color matching. Boogie will match a hat, head, middle, and bottom of a snowman based on the colors of each. There are 11 snowmen. I made the circles on white paper, used markers for the words, buttons and faces, cut the hats out of construction paper, then laminated everything. There is some strategy involved too, because each snowman is a bit of a puzzle.


Pin It

And here are two books that we had and several that we borrowed from the library about snow and winter. 


Linking up to these great parties!

28 comments:

  1. Great post and blog! I've been looking for kids-sized paper inches for ages. Where did your little snowflake come from?

    Thanks,
    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fiona! I couldn't find your address anywhere so I hope you check back. I got the snowflake paper punch from Michaels. It isn't specifically kid-sized. And it was on sale when I got it so that was great :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Sierra! My little one is almost the same age as your Boogie, so I thought I might try her out with the puncher. I'll check out Michaels (with coupon in hand!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can find it! And I agree that having a coupon is the way to go, especially at Michaels!

      Delete
  3. Great activities, thanks for linking back to my site. I added the "I was Featured" button.
    Jodie
    ~Tons of Fun~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodie! Thanks for sharing a great idea and thanks for using the featured button :)

      Delete
  4. Love your cute new button! While your activities are targeted to younger kids, my daughter would love to play with a tray everyday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana! I hope you can find ways to modify the trays for your daughter! They lead to such nice quiet time and learning moments.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I love yours too! They are so easy to implement with what you have around the house, which is so helpful for busy moms! Thank you for your kind words and for sharing your great ideas too :)

      Delete
  6. Great snow activities, thanks for sharing at BTT!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it, so many skills you are practicing with these. And awesome choice of books. Thanks for linking up with Thinky Linky Thursday.
    Lori @ Cachey Mama’s Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori! The only book I really wanted that I couldn't find was The Snowy Day. I know my mom has a copy somewhere that I will have to make off with :)

      Delete
  8. These are some great ideas! I can see using them with both my toddlers and preschoolers! I'm so glad you shared them at Teach Me Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carla! I'm glad you found something that you could use!

      Delete
  9. Such fun ideas!!! Found you at TGIF.I'd like to invite you to share this post with our readers for Fun Stuff Fridays. http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/01/fun-stuff-fridays-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE LOVE LOVE!! You have the best tray ideas Sierra! I need to get some tongs for Ellie...they would be really great for her fine motor. I know they have activities with them at her school (she goes to a Montessori preschool) but I am not sure if she is doing them there. Where do you get your tongs? Thanks for sharing at Thrifty Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie! The small silver tongs are ice tongs from the Target dollar section over the summer. The larger ones were a wedding present. I am actually going to buy a set from amazon that come recommended by a lot of homeschoolers. I am sure they would be great for Ellie!

      Delete
  11. Great ideas! Thank you for sharing them at Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are such great ideas! I love the little snowmen color puzzles!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What great activities! Thanks for linking up with BTT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What fun! Love your blue pom poms! Thanks for the book recommendations too - always looking for new books to read =-) Thanks for linking up to TGIF! Have a GREAT week,
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they pretty? Love sparkles :) I always find other moms' book recs useful too. Thanks, Beth :)

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to every comment either by using the reply function (so please subscribe to the comment thread or check back) or email (if you are a "no-reply blogger", it is an easy change).

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...