CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, February 27, 2012

Dr. Seuss Muffin Tin Meal

I am jumping on the muffin tin bandwagon! Boogie loves muffin cups so after some resisting, followed by some researching, I decided to give it a try. When I showed Boogie what I was doing, he got really excited and started saying please and cleaning up the activity he was working on. I told him to go sit by his chair and he raced to the table.

Without further ado, here is Boogie's first muffin tin meal, a Dr. Seuss themed one!


Pin It

I made Boogie green scrambled eggs by adding a drop of food coloring before cooking. Then I put some ham on a toothpick. He does not like lunch meat so I was not sure how this would go over. He took a bite and cried for his milk. Sigh. But he ate all the eggs after I convinced him they were really eggs. Obviously, this is for Green Eggs and Ham.

The grapes are filling in as mulberries for And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street. Boogie ate the last of the blueberries yesterday, which is what I was going to use. Boogie only ate a couple, which surprised me because he usually loves grapes.

I got this idea from the Muffin Tin Mom, and this is actually why I decided to start with a Dr. Seuss week. I alternated slices of strawberries and bananas to make a Dr. Seuss hat for The Cat in the Hat. I made this hat on a popsicle stick instead of a skewer. Boogie ate a whole banana and then some strawberries.

The goldfish are for One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish. I didn't have the colored ones and I didn't have a blue cupcake liner for the water. You make do with what you have! This is the only part of the tin that Boogie emptied. Of course.

The apple slices are for Ten Apples Up On Top. Again, Boogie usually loves apples, but wasn't interested.

That last strange looking mess is lime flavored green Jell-O that is standing in for Oobleck rom Bartholomew and the Oobleck. As far as I know, I came up with this idea on my own (though I am sure others have thought of it, too) and I was so excited because I was sure Boogie would love it. He fought me on it but finally tried a bite, spit it out, tried another bite, told me he liked it, ate a few more bites, then didn't want any more. Silly Boogie!

So, that is my first attempt at making a themed, fun, relatively healthy muffin tin meal! I consider it  a success! He did not eat everything BUT besides his excitement and going to the table without a fuss, the big deal is that HE TRIED EVERYTHING! He chewed and swallowed at least one bite of everything I gave him. I was so proud of him and really glad I tried this. So we will definitely be muffin tinning more often :)

You can also see our Dr. Seuss tot trays here or download the Cat in the Hat dot marker page I made here. You can also see the Dr. Seuss hat pattern activity here.

Linking up to these great parties!

30 comments:

  1. This really looks wonderful. You were able to tie so many books into one tin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty pleased that I figured out how to do that :) I already have Boogie's next muffin tin meal planned. I think we are going to stick to Mondays for now and try new things each week since he was willing to try things. That way it will stay special and interesting.

      Delete
  2. How fun! I had similar plans for a few of the Dr. Seuss books too! I definitely want to make the fruit hat, and we always have a green eggs and ham (or other pork, LOL!) breakfast while I read the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Seuss is so easy to plan for! The fruit hat was what gave me the push I needed to go for it :)

      Delete
  3. Great job! I love the green Jell-O for Oobleck! I may be stealing that idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it :) Boogie just decided he liked it again last night after dinner! Silly boy.

      Delete
  4. I love this idea of muffin tin meals! If you are interested, I would love for you to post a link to this post on my blog, Happy Birthday Author. I have a linky for activities for families to celebrate Dr. Seuss's birthday.

    http://www.happybirthdayauthor.com/2012/02/happy-birthday-dr-seuss-march-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you were able to include so many of the books! And I knew which books almost immediately. bravo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely Seussalicious lunch! I should have thought of green jello for the oobleck! My girls weren't keen on the green tapioca pudding I went with :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The green tapioca pudding looked awesome though! The green jello kind of blended in with the tin.

      Delete
  7. That looks like a ton of fun! I might need to go pick up some muffin tins--I have divided plates that the kids really like, but I think they'd be so entertained with muffin tins too! I love how he actually tasted everything--nice work, Mom!! Thanks for linking up at Teach Me Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muffin tins are so inexpensive, it is definitely worth it. Thanks for the sweet comment :)

      Delete
  8. Looks awesome and I love how you were able to tie several books into one tin. Wonderful blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rina! Your bentos are so fun! I am just getting into this whole themed-lunch thing but I am really enjoying it :)

      Delete
  9. Over from TGIF. Kids love muffin tin meals, don't they? Love the hat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do! I never knew! Hopefully my baby will be a better eater if I do this with him sooner.

      Delete
  10. That made me smile - especially the hat!

    Thanks for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad, Maggy! I hope my posts continue to make you smile :)

      Delete
  11. Great job tying in so many Seuss creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keitha! It is so nice to have encouragement from people who have been doing the whole muffin tin meal/bento thing longer :)

      Delete
  12. Love how you incorporated so many books into it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great meal :-) I love it!!! Thank you so much for linking up to Whatcha Making Wednesdays! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to every comment either by using the reply function (so please subscribe to the comment thread or check back) or email (if you are a "no-reply blogger", it is an easy change).

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...