CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, February 27, 2012

Dr. Seuss Tot Trays

We're back with new tot trays this week! Hooray! And in case you can't tell when you see the pictures, I had a TON of fun planning! And the only money I spent was on some new Dr. Seuss books for Boogie ($5 at Walmart! Woot!) because I had everything else on hand! Yay!

I included either the actual books or pictures of the cover pages with each tray. We have a set from the library with 6 books in it so I did not have covers for those, which is why I printed out pictures. We don't have a copy of There's a Wocket in My Pocket, but I think my mom is bringing it this week when she visits. Boogie has already been enjoying the books for the first time. The last time we tried to read Dr. Seuss to him was when we did our letter E week and we were reading Horton Hatches the Egg and I think maybe it was just too long and involved for him. He has been absolutely loving the beginner's books. Since I was raised on Dr. Seuss, I am loving this! Hubby- Man is reading many of these for the first time and laughing through them, which I am also loving! Parenting has so many fun moments :)

On to the trays!

I love this tray. It is so simple but I have always adored this book. I wanted to touch a know what a truffula tree felt like so badly, and I always felt a little guilty, but I kind of wanted a thneed. I imagine it to be kind of like microfiber except even better. Moving beyond my childhood now, this tray is called "transferring truffula tufts" :) Dr. Seuss brings out the alliteration lover in me, what can I say?  Boogie can drop and dump the truffula tufts, or use the spoon to transfer them. We can count tufts by total or color and sort them by color as well. We can also make patterns.

 

Pin It

This is our green eggs tray. Reading Confetti reminded me about using plastic Easter eggs, and I decided to use just green ones. Like in our E week egg tray, there is a matching component with this tray. The tops of each egg have either a shape, letter or number to be matched to the bottom with the same shape, letter or number. There are 4 different shades of green eggs so there is a color shade matching component there. There is shape, letter, and number recognition involved in this tray. Boogie can open and close the egg carton and the actual eggs. There are 4 different colored green pom poms distributed throughout the eggs. The pom poms are not the same colors as the egg unfortunately, but Boogie will still enjoy them. I included green tongs so Boogie can use his fine motor skills to pick up the pom poms once he has flung them far and wide across the room. We can count the eggs and pom poms by color or total. We can sort the eggs and pom poms by color. We can make patterns out of the different colored eggs and pom poms too.


This tray is partly for letter recognition and partly for the fun and surprise factor of taking things in and out of the pocket. My plan is that I will take a letter, or a couple letters, and put them in the pocket. Then Boogie can take them out and we will talk about what the letters are. I am thinking we can spell simple words like his name, Mama, Dada and baby, too, just for fun. The box that the pocket is on also opens and closes with velcro. Besides putting things in and out, naming the letters, and making words, we can sort the letters by color. We can also match upper case and lower case letters.


I loved this book, too. Who am I kidding? I love them all! This tray was a bit more involved in the making and the trial and error process took awhile. First, I tried using homemade mod podge and covering the mini yogurt cups with tissue paper. That was a huge mess. Then, I was going to do construction paper like I did with our origami frog sorting cups. Thankfully, part of that process involves cutting a cup to spread it flat for a template. That was when I discovered the labels are not glued on. I peeled off the labels and had 5 blank hats. I used permanent marker to write the numbers, scribble some color on, and make the marks for the feathers. I used an exacto knife to make slits for the feathers. Ta da!  So, this tray is a color matching and counting tray. Boogie can put the feathers into the hats based on the colors, then count how many feathers are in each hat. This is a self-correcting activity because there are only the right number and color feathers for each hat. We can also count the hats or the total number of feathers.


I got the worksheet for this tray from Joyfully Weary. This is a matching game with Dr. Seuss hats. I think it is too involved for Boogie this year, but I thought it was too cute not to try. He is very good with puzzles and it is a similar concept so we will practice some direction following and see what he does with it.


One thing I love about these trays is all the different sensory experiences with touch they provide- the pom poms, feathers, jean pocket, wooden letters, and egg carton are such different textures than paper and plastic, which is what everything else is.

Want to see some of the other fun things we are doing for our Dr. Seuss theme week? You can download the Cat in the Hat dot marker page that I made here. And you can see our Dr. Seuss muffin tin meal here. We also did a Dr. Seuss Hat Pattern Activity here.

Linking up to these great parties

28 comments:

  1. I love your Tot Trays! My little ones would love these!

    If you are interested, I would love for you to share this post on my blog, Happy Birthday Author, to help us celebrate Dr. Seuss's birthday!

    Here is a link to the linky:

    http://www.happybirthdayauthor.com/2012/02/happy-birthday-dr-seuss-march-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great trays! I'm happy to see you used our hat game, I hope your son enjoyed it. I'm pinning your post so I can reference it next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! I am glad you found ideas you like since I always find so many at your blog :)

      Delete
  3. I love your creative Dr. Seuss trays, Sierra! I featured your post and green eggs activity photo in my Montessori-Inspired Dr. Seuss Activities at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2012/02/28/montessori-inspired-dr-seuss-activities-and-dr-seuss-linky-party/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks, Deb! Seeing the egg tray right there at the top of the post made me smile!

      Delete
  4. These are such great tot trays! I especially love the green eggs. Thanks for linking up with us at the Kids Co-op last week. I'll be featuring you in this Friday's Co-op post. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are FANTABULOUS ideas! Pinning this page for our DR. Seuss week (because I have planned poorly and missed that this was the week for it!)

    Found your awesome blog through Confessions of a Homeschooler link up today. I love so many of your ideas....I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! Thanks for following! I am following your blog now, too :) I am glad you found things you like here! And there have been times when I have done a theme a week late, too. I think it is probably a bigger deal to us than our kids :)

      Delete
  6. Why didn't I think of these activities? These are GREAT! I might have to extend our Dr. Seuss theme to next week just so we can give your activities a try! LOL Thanks for sharing!

    wackycyndi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this time I like the Green Eggs best! Great book too.

    Thanks for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maggy! Boogie and I have had fun "cracking" the eggs and talking about the shells :)

      Delete
  8. Oh how I miss the tot years! These are wonderful ideas! So cute. Thank you for sharing. I just printed the hat game for my daughter. She'll get a kick out of it I am sure. Love the There's a Wocket in my Pocket idea. You could also show three or four letters and hide one inside and ask what letter or letter sound is missing. Hey, I might try that with Alyssa as a review for letter sounds. Yesterday, I posted a list of Dr. Seuss free resources I found online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great list! I will have to check some of those out. Boogie is too young for the disappearing letter skill yet, but that is a great way to use the pocket tray for older kids! Thanks for sharing :)

      Delete
  9. Thanks for sharing on Hey Mom, Look What I Did at Adventures In Mommy Land!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. you just amaze me with all of the creative tray ideas that you come up with! thanks for linking up last week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for linking up to Thinky Linky Thursday! I love seeing all the new ideas each week!
    Lori @ Cachey Mama’s Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy moley those are some cute ideas! I will definitely be trying these next year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for linking up. I will be featureing this post this week on fun frugal friday.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to every comment either by using the reply function (so please subscribe to the comment thread or check back) or email (if you are a "no-reply blogger", it is an easy change).

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...