CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, February 25, 2012

{FREE} Cat in the Hat Dot Marker Page

I am planning a Dr. Seuss week for Boogie in honor of the wonderful rhyming king's birthday on March 2nd. As I have been collecting, oh, about a million ideas on Pinterest, I was brainstorming what I wanted to do with Boogie. I am always trying to simplify great ideas to make them appropriate for my little boy. As I was searching, I thought to myself, "I hope I find a The Cat in the Hat hat dot marker page." As I looked and looked and looked through pins and printables, I did not see one. (If there is one out there, I would love to know about it so I can link to it!) So, I found a great template created by Amanda Post at atozteacherstuff.com (if you have never been to her site, there are tons of other great freebies), created a dot marker page for Boogie, then contacted Amanda and got her permission to share it with all of you (Thanks, Amanda)! So, just in time for a Dr. Seuss unit, here (when you click on the picture below) is a very simple hat dot marker page, perfect for the tot in your house!


Pin It

If you are new to dot marker pages, first I suggest you laminate it or put it in a sheet protector (not necessary but helps protect from busy little hands and constant use), then here are some fun ways you can use them:

* with dot markers, also called bingo markers. You can find them on amazon, at a craft store (we got ours at Michaels with a coupon), or as bingo markers at the dollar store. The actual dot markers are non-toxic, which is why I went with that option. I can't vouch for the bingo markers.
* with any small round object (flat marbles, pom poms, pennies, and bingo chips are some of the most popular).
* put it on an oil drip pan, fridge, cookie sheet, or magnet dry erase board and use with these magnets or create your own.

Here is how we are going to use the page. First, I am going to color around the blank dots in the colors of the hat (red on top, white next, then alternating down). I provided the printable in black and white to save on ink for myself and everyone else. You're welcome :) If there is a high demand for a color version, I am happy to provide one, though! If your child is old enough, you can have them do the coloring before you laminate it for some more fine motor fun. Once the page is colored and laminated, we are going to use a combination of red pom poms and cotton balls (I don't think I have enough white pom poms) to fill in the blank dots and complete the pattern. This activity works fine motor skills and coordination (coloring if your child participates in that, dot markers, or using fingers, tongs, tweezers or chopsticks to place the manipulatives on the dots), 1:1 correspondence and counting skills, color recognition, color matching, and patterning. That's quite a lot out of one simple black and white worksheet!

If you do use this worksheet and blog about it, please be sure to link back to my blog so others know where to get the file. I would also love it if you would let me know that you used it so I can visit your blog and see it in action! I will be sure to post pictures of Boogie too :)

This worksheet is intended for personal, non-profit use only.

Enjoy!

For more Dr. Seuss fun, see Boogie's Dr. Seuss tot trays here , Boogie's Dr. Seuss muffin tin meal here, or the Dr. Seuss hat pattern activity here

Linking up to these great parties!

14 comments:

  1. Was just planning some Dr. Seuss activities for my own little one and came over from AtoZ...so happy to find the dot marker template! Thank you for sharing with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I am so excited to celebrate the works of Dr. Seuss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Great printable that could be used in so many different ways and with different developmental stages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my hope! Glad you think so :) You're welcome!

      Delete
  4. Oooh I love the dot marker idea! What a great download, thank you

    Thanks for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome :) Thank you for hosting and commenting :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing on Serenity Saturday

    Natasha xxx

    www.serenityyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!! I hope you will share with us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE LOVE LOVE this Sierra! E would LOVE this...they have been doing a lot of dot marker work at her school lately! thanks for sharing at TT also! Hope you are doing awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to every comment either by using the reply function (so please subscribe to the comment thread or check back) or email (if you are a "no-reply blogger", it is an easy change).

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...