CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, February 6, 2012

Valentine Tot Trays

Looooooooove is in the air and on our tot trays this week!

What's on the tray? Lots and lots of hearts!

This first tot tray was inspired by this post at Teach Preschool (the magnets on the mailboxes) and this post at The Princess and the Tot (labeling heart boxes and erasers for matching). Boogie will be able to open and close using his fine motor skills and number match from 1-5 with this tray. I did not do color matching because it wasn't possible with these materials, but we can talk about the colors of each item. We can also count from 1-5 while we are identifying them numbers. We already had the magnets, everything else is from Target.


I have been wanting to do this tray since I first saw the idea at Christmas, but just got around to it. Quirky Momma used a scanner to make pattern strips out of erasers. I did the same thing by going to Staples because my scanner is missing a wire. I lined up the erasers on the color copier, put black paper on top, then laminated the pages and cut the strips. We will practice patterns, matching, fine motor skills, and counting with this tray. We can talk about colors and position words too. The erasers are from the Dollar Tree.


This next tray was inspired by The Preschool Experiment. This is a dumping and pouring tray, but we can also count and sort by color. This is a sensory tray too because the conversation hearts smell good. I am not telling Boogie they are candy though and I hope he doesn't figure it out! The cups are from the Dollar Tree.


I have seen this next idea on so many sites, I don't even know where I first saw it. Boogie will stick the heart picks into the sugar container. This is a fine motor task. We can count the heart picks too. They are from the Dollar Tree, and the sugar container is available there as well.






This is another idea that is common on Montessori activity trays. This is an open and close tray with several different items to open and close. I put more heart-shaped erasers inside. This is a fine motor tray, and Boogie will enjoy the surprise of finding the erasers inside. The erasers are different colors so we can talk about colors. And we can count the total number of erasers.






Lastly, our Valentine play dough, with a bunch of cookie cutters.





Linking up to these great parties!

38 comments:

  1. We got that same set of cookie cutters from Dollar Tree, and Jett had them with playdough on one of his trays today, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Play dough and cookie cutters are such a fun, frugal, sensory activity! Love it!

      Delete
  2. I just picked up heart cookie cutters the other day- fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen! Hope you guys have fun making millions of hearts, too :)

      Delete
  3. I LOVE all of your trays! I wrote a very similar post today and will link up on Wednesday! I love the pattern one with erasers! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Trina! Love yours too :) I saw it pre-edit and liked it then and like the trays you added, too :) Thanks for being a cheerleader for me. You definitely have the gift of edification! (That is one of the spiritual gifts, right? I don't know that I ever went through a whole workshop on that haha.)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the link back! :) I have a whole bunch of those heart containers that you have (in the first picture). I'm still trying to figure out how to incorporate them. Great trays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess! I try to always give credit where credit is due :) Thanks for always sharing such great ideas!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you! I have been thinking long and hard about how I am going to use your great ideas for travel trays, too :)

      Delete
  6. I"ve got something in mind for some similiar heart shape boxes as yours ;) Great activities!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all the different ideas you have prepared and how you have laid them all out. Lovely indeed. Can I come and play?

    Thank you for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the little mailboxes! Thanks for linking up at Thematic Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such fun activities!! And I totally stealing the idea of the sugar container as a display for my marshmallow pops...I love it!

    Thanks for linking to Hey Mom, Look What We Did on Adventures In Mommy Land!

    hope to see you again sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlene! I am glad you got some inspiration :) Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  10. I have to tell you, those little mailboxes look like so much fun! I'm going to have to see if Target has any left! I can just imagine the use they'd get! These are some awesome trays! Thank you so much for linking up at Teach Me Tuesday -- I can't wait to see what you're up to next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carla! I love Target :) So much scope for imagination in the dollar section!

      Delete
  11. Stopping by from TGIF!!! We did the heart picks and parmesan cheese container too - found all the stuff at a dollar store. My son loved that activity - he is always making a "surprise" for someone. :) I like the dough and cutters tray - I'll have to remember that sometime.

    ~Bekah @SonshineTotSchool.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bekah! The picks poking activity seems really popular this Valentine's Day! I love the dollar store!

      Delete
  12. I am often on the lookout for inspiration for our own homeschooling ventures and I love finding it on other mommy websites! :) Thanks for sharing so many fun ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind comment, Michelle. I am following your blog now :)

      Delete
  13. that scanning the erasers trick is a good one!! also, i've been wondering... do you keep all of the trays out, or do you put out one a day or...? how do you set this up? curious because i might try the tray idea with bear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andie! I have all the trays out all week. The second picture in the link below is the set up we are still using, with the Oriental Trading trays.

      http://his4homeschooling.blogspot.com/2011/09/shelves-attempt-1-and-2.html

      Delete
  14. Your tot trays are always amazing! I get such inspiration from looking at them :) Thanks for linking up to Thinky Linky Thursday!
    Lori @ Cachey Mama’s Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori! There are so many great ideas on other blogs that I borrow from too :)

      Delete
  15. I am just hopping over to thank you for linking up this week to my Enchanted Thursdays Blog Hop! You are so creative when it comes to putting together your Tot Trays! I hope to see you link up again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice ideas! I am going to give a few a try! I'd love it if you would share this with my readers for Fun Stuff Fridays. Would you please link up? http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/02/14-days-of-valentines-fun-stuff-fridays_10.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lindsi! I usually do link up my newest posts on Fridays. I think I did link this one up but I am not sure!

      Delete
  17. Great activities. Thanks for linking up to fun frugal friday. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for linking up to Serenity Saturday
    Hope to can join us again tomorrow

    Natasha

    www.serenityyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to every comment either by using the reply function (so please subscribe to the comment thread or check back) or email (if you are a "no-reply blogger", it is an easy change).

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...