CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Valentine's Play Dough

This isn't just Valentine's Play Dough. Oh no, it is much more than that. This is Red Glittery Cherry-Scented Kool-Aid Valentine's Play Dough! That seemed like a crazy long title though, so I did the abridged version. This post, though, is NOT an abridged version. I took a lot of pictures and had a lot of fun documenting the process :)

First, the beautiful finished result! Isn't it pretty?


Pin It

I took a picture of what I used, just because I am really enjoying watermarking my pictures :) I used my regular play dough recipe, halved, like with the snow dough. Half is plenty for one Boogie.


Ingredients (specifically for this batch):
* 1.5 cups flour
*  3 ounces salt
* 3 tablespoons cream of tartar (they sell it at Target, generically, guys! So happy!)
* 1.5 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 1.5 cups water
* 10-20 drops red food coloring
* 1 packed unsweetened cherry Kool-Aid
* Lots of red glitter

For directions, see the recipe link above.

Here is Boogie helping me blend the ingredients.



This is what it all looked like when I put it on the stove. Beautiful, huh?


Here is what it looked like after I stirred it a few times.


And this is what it looked like right before I put it in the mixer.


It looked much better after the mixer. The combination of Kool-Aid and food coloring gives it a really bright, pretty red color. And it smells so nice! I wanted to use strawberry Kool-Aid because strawberries seem more Valentine's Day-y to me, but what we had was Kool-Aid so that's what I went with.


I dumped a whole bunch of glitter in the middle, then rolled and kneaded and squished until the glitter was spread throughout the whole batch. If you are concerned about a mess, 99% of the glitter will stick to the dough. I always find a few pieces of stray glitter on my hands and table, but it really isn't bad at all.


Once the glitter was spread, it looked like this! The red photographs differently based on if the flash went off or not. But it is so pretty and red and sparkly and fun, isn't it?!


If you have been on the fence about making your own play dough, I hope this post encourages you! It is easy, you know the ingredients, your toddler can have fun making it with you and it is much more of a sensory experience than the store bought stuff.  

Pin It

Linking up to these great parties!

29 comments:

  1. Very pretty, and I bet it smells good too! I started making homemade play-doh at Christmas, and both of my kids enjoy it so much more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Boogie has only played with name brand "Play-Doh" once or twice. I save it for special occasions because it is new to him and I don't like it very much! It is also easy to toss in the diaper bag if we are going to be out and I need him to be entertained and sitting.

      Delete
  2. Glittery and it smells good, can't get any better! I bet your son is having a great time with it.
    Little Wonders' Days

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a lot of fun! I love the photos of him adding the ingredients. Both of my big boys love making it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He loves to help create things, especially if there is the possibility for mess :)

      Delete
  4. The more glitter the better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it!!!! Looks like so much fun! I have got to make my own playdoh soon!!!

    Ok, do tell how did you watermark your pictures? Are you using Windows Live Writer or Blogger? I have thought of checking out WLW and just haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I emailed you about this already, right, Trina?

      And yes, you should make some play dough with your boys! Too much fun!! :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Sierra! Yes, you did email me about this question. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Just perfect! We made similar playdough back in Autumn and the children LOVED it! Perfect for Valentine's!!!

    Thank you for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such an easy thing to make and there are so many ways to play with it. I love play dough time with Boogie! And making a new batch is always fun. It's like a new toy for him.

      Delete
  7. Just made a batch this morning with Cherry kool-aid too! BUT I didn't use red glitter....will have to go and add some right away! Yours looks edible- makes me want to take a bite!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like fun and I bet it smells great! Thanks for linking up to Thinky Linky Thursday!
    Lori @ Cachey Mama’s Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of glitter in the dough! Thanks for that idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't come up with it by any means, but I am glad you saw it first here :)

      Delete
  10. I miss those preschool days and making this fun play-dough! Great addition of glitter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE this, pinning it now!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute! Can't go wrong with glitter! We just made play dough using Red Hots that came out pink so this recipe might just be perfect to go with it for some Valentine's Day fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red hots sounds like a good idea, too! Did you end up making red dough?

      Delete
  13. Congrats, your idea has been featured on Thinky Linky Thursday! Come and grab your button.
    Lori @ Cachey Mama’s Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this! Do you find that the homemade play doh makes your hands all crusty feeling after playing with it for a few minutes? That's the only thing I don't like about it. Maybe I will try your recipe and see if I like it better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have never had a crusty problem with homemade play dough, no! I actually really prefer the texture over the store-bought stuff.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to every comment either by using the reply function (so please subscribe to the comment thread or check back) or email (if you are a "no-reply blogger", it is an easy change).

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...