CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, March 29, 2012

DIY Nesting Eggs

This is so easy and inexpensive and if you have a child who loves to open and close things, and discover surprises, like my Boogie, it is the perfect Easter activity!


Pin It

All you need is a few different sized eggs, some pom poms, googly eyes, orange felt, and a glue gun and you have nesting eggs with cute little chicks inside!

One thing I love about this set is that the 3 different sized eggs are 3 different shades. I could have taken it a step further and put a colored chick in that went with the color of the egg, but I did that for one of Boogie's Easter trays, so I thought I would leave the chicks all yellow for these (which are going in his Easter sensory bin). If your child is old enough to differentiate between shades, you can have them line up the eggs from light to dark. Boogie is old enough for doing size order, but we haven't tried shades yet. I think he is too young but I will talk to him about it while we play with these.

The only tricky part with this set is that the biggest egg is not quite enough bigger than the middle egg to always close exactly right. I know there are larger sized eggs, but I worked with the ones I had. Walmart had the middle size, and the generic dollar store next to Walmart had the smallest ones. You could also put Easter egg erasers inside to keep the egg theme going if you have those on hand and aren't up to making chicks.

 If you are looking for more Easter ideas, check out our DIY Resurrection Eggs and extension activities, the Hungry Bunny toddler game from Boogie's trays, or the bunny muffin tin meal Boogie enjoyed.

Linking up to these great parties!

22 comments:

  1. Love this idea! I think this next week is a little too busy for me to get it together for this Easter but I'm pinning it in hopes of doing it next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! Buy the eggs on clearance after this Easter so you will be ready to go next time! :)

      Delete
  2. This is a great idea! I need to stock up on plastic eggs... they have so many uses! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting! They really are an awesome learning and playing tool, and probably one of the cheapest once they go on clearance. I think my mom got Boogie 40 for a quarter last year a week after Easter!

      Delete
  3. My lil guys loves to open stuffs and find surprises! this is a cool idea..now on the to do list :-)

    http://havingfunatchelleshouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy that I am sure it won't be on the list for long :) Glad you can enjoy it with your little one :)

      Delete
  4. So cute. Have to find different size eggs now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! Like I said, check out Walmart and your local dollar store :)

      Delete
  5. Ooh how cute! Great idea!

    Thanks for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a darling idea! but i've come to expect wonderful things like this from you! you amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those little chicks are too precious. What a fun idea. I would love for you to share at my Anything Goes linky up now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea. My kids love nesting dolls. Thanks! Jodi @ www.meaningfulmama.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea!!! Thanks for sharing. I am going to try and get it together this week for my girls. I will post about it and link back to you as always!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea!! Such a fun way to keep them occupied for a little while :) Thanks for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun idea! And who doesn't have tons of different size Easter eggs laying around anyway?!?! Thanks for linking up to TGIF! See you tomorrow =-)
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is awesome! I was just trying to imagine ways to make nesting cars for my boy, but using Easter eggs is brilliant! Thanks for sharing at Teach Me Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi again! I just wanted to let you know that this post is one of the most clicked-on links at Teach Me Tuesday! Congratulations--it's featured today!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to every comment either by using the reply function (so please subscribe to the comment thread or check back) or email (if you are a "no-reply blogger", it is an easy change).

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...