CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Dr. Seuss Hat Pattern Activity

I wanted to share another fun Dr. Seuss idea that I would have put on a tray if I had thought of it sooner. I was inspired by posts at Teach Preschool, Reading Confetti and Ready. Set. Read!



Pin It

To do this with your child, simply gather the number of red and white popsicle sticks you want to use. I had pre-dyed red ones from the dollar store and I used some white tempura paint to make the white ones.

Print out the blank hat template from atozteacherstuff.com.

Use a black sharpie to section off the hat depending on how many sticks you are using.

Color the red stripes.

Laminate or put in a sheet protector.

Your child can then use the popsicle sticks to create the red and white pattern.

This is similar to the Cat in the Hat dot marker page I created over the weekend, but I think it is a little easier. It also never hurts to reinforce concepts using different tools and textures.

With a child who can read, you could even just write the words and not color them on the stripes to practice word recognition.  

This activity is good for fine motor skills, learning a simple pattern, counting (you can count by color or total), sorting by color, and color matching/recognition.

To see more Dr. Seuss fun we are having this week, check out our Dr. Seuss tot trays or Dr. Seuss muffin tin meal.

Linking up to these great parties!

20 comments:

  1. very clever! Love it! We started our Seuss learnings today also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melissa! There is so much scope for imagination in Dr. Seuss it was hard to stop thinking of ideas and do the ones we already had :)

      Delete
  2. Fabulous! I love it! :) I've pinned this. So nice to see you've got a title and your blog watermark on the picture - hope you're happy with pinning! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment and for pinning :) I find it really helpful on other blogs when there is a title and watermark so I am glad to hear it's helpful here :)

      Delete
  3. This is a great idea! I also pinned it! You know, I was looking at this in my reader and I thought, "The nice thing about Dr. Seuss stuff is that you can use it any time of the year--not just around his birthday!" And it's so true! We've got tomorrow already planned, but I will definitely be doing this later! Just thought I'd let you know! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pinning, Carla! And you're so right. Dr. Seuss is awesome any day of the year!

      Delete
  4. Aaah nothing like the cat in a hat hat!!! Fabulous and great activity.

    Thank you for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maggy! It is one of the classics, isn't it?

      Delete
  5. Thanks for linking up to Thinky Linky Thursday! I love seeing all the new ideas each week!
    Lori @ Cachey Mama’s Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! Thanks for sharing on Hey Mom, Look What I Did at Adventures In Mommy Land! hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love the idea behind this! thanks for linking up last week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing:) Very cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great cat in the hat activity. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to every comment either by using the reply function (so please subscribe to the comment thread or check back) or email (if you are a "no-reply blogger", it is an easy change).

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...