CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, March 16, 2012

Family Photos Clank Can

This is one of the posts I mentioned that I wanted to share. I think I might see how coming on once a week to post updates might work, but we will see how it goes. Thanks for the lovely comments I got on my previous post! I will respond to them as I get the chance :)

I got this wonderful idea from Lori at Cachey Mama's Classroom and my boys are LOVING it!


Pin It

To do this for your family, all you need is a large can, a bunch of lids, and some family photos. I used a few more supplies, but you certainly don't need to. Here is how I did it.

I figured out the size of the lids (spaghetti and applesauce jar lids because I wanted them to be Bam Bam safe) and made a template in Publisher to crop my photos. I chose 22 photos (2 great-grandparents, 2 grandmas, 1 grandpa, 1 great-aunt, 4 uncles, 2 aunts and 1 aunt-to-be, 5 cousins, and the 4 of us) of the family members that Boogie and Bam Bam see on the most regular basis and that Boogie would recognize and ask for. I do plan on adding more, but since I am cutting back on the time I am spending on this kind of thing, 22 was plenty. And soon, there will be 4 more cousins, but more on that later.

After printing the photos, I cut them to size, laminated them, and cut them to size again. I did the cutting twice to save on laminating pockets.  I laminated them to protect them from Bam Bam's constant flood of drool.

Next, I used velcro to put the photos into the lids. I used velcro rather than glue so I can change the photos as my children and their cousins grow.

I covered the coffee can with paper and labeled it "My Family" and I cut a slit in the lid of the coffee can, so the boys can have fun dropping the lids in.

Here are some ways that I plan on using this with my boys, especially Boogie at this point:

* Identifying family members (Just say the names to Bam Bam. For Boogie, I can spread them all out and ask him to find so-and-so and drop the lid in the can to practice direction following.)
* Discussing family relationships (you could do a family tree, like Lori did)
* Sorting (I am thinking by gender or family relationship, ie- cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. Or separate them by household families. We also have 3 different colored lids so Boogie could sort by lid color, too.)
* Playing with the lids- stacking, dropping, dumping, lining up like a train :P

I had considered putting names on the other side of the lid so that when Boogie is a bit older we can practice sight words with them, but with the way Bam Bam chews on them right now, I think we will skip that. With an older child that would be fun, though. They could flip them over and it is self-correcting. You could also have your child line them up in age order or alphabetical order or things like that.

I may or may not be linking up to these great parties at some point :)



6 comments:

  1. I love it! What a cute idea! I want to just take a moment to encourage you, you are an amazing Mom, wife, and friend ( I can tell). Please don't feel like you have to respond to each comment on your last post. We are all here for you and want you to know you are amazing! Hang in there, girl! And post/comment/and link up when you feel like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much, Trina. Your encouragement means so much and always brightens my day.

      Delete
  2. Sierra! I absolutly love this idea. We don't have family near by so I'm always looking for ways to include them in our every day lives. I'll absolutly be making this for J!

    Also, thanks for linking this up to the Weekly Kids Co-Op...I'm going to feature it on my blog next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda! I am excited to be featured and so glad your sweet boy will like this activity. My boys love it in different ways. Boogie loves to name the family members and talk about them. Bam Bam likes to chew on them :P

      Delete
  3. What a fun idea! Thanks for linking up to TGIF!! See you tomorrow!
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to every comment either by using the reply function (so please subscribe to the comment thread or check back) or email (if you are a "no-reply blogger", it is an easy change).

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...