CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Lesson Learned- Crayon Freckles

It's Sunday and time for another guest post in the Lesson Learned series. I love the insights these brave mamas share as they open up and think through a recent time that they have not quite been who they want to be as a parent. We all make mistakes, but not all of us are brave enough to share them, reflect on them, and learn from them.

This week, Andie from Crayon Freckles is here. She is one of the people I am happiest to have "met" through blogging. Just an example of how kind her heart is, when my buttons weren't working right, Andie emailed me with a code to fix them. I was so touched that she took the time to help! Andie hosts a guest post series called "in {her} shoes" where mamas can share a bit of their story, and I had the honor of being asked to contribute. Andie also hosts a linky party I join each week called "tip-toe thru tuesdays" where you can post anything you've created, and she also allows etsy shops and giveaways. As you may see from her post, Andie's writing style is unique in her use of font, color, and size, just to name a few of the techniques she uses that set her apart. I often feel like I am reading poetry when I am on her blog- not an easy thing to accomplish when blogging about parenting! Andie is incredibly creative when it comes to home-preschooling her three year old son, Bear, and I have shamelessly borrowed and pinned many of her ideas. Enjoy reading her post, then head over to Crayon Freckles and be further inspired.

***************************************************




when momma makes a mess of things....

i'm andie from Crayon Freckles.  i'm a Jesus follower, home-preschooling momma of a teen and a 3 yr old.  recently we've been having some sleep problems with my 3 yr old son, Bear. you can read a bit more about it in my sleep problems post.  a brief rundown is that every night getting him to sleep was a battle lasting over an hour.  those battles entailed Bear screaming and crying, and me frustrated and crying.  then there were the wake-ups in the middle of the night with Bear screaming and crying again.
i was at my wit's end. 
something i should mention is that we have a family bed.  we've had one since Bear was 6 months old.  this was at the encouragement of my lactation consultant.  night-nursing was the only thing that saved my sanity.  of course, there has always been the pressure to move him to his own bed. especially since his last birthday.  with these latest struggles and night wakings, it seems that pressure has increased.  feeling like i had no other options, i gave in and decided to follow other's suggestions.  i tried being stern and consistent... sort of a ferber-ized method of telling him to go back to sleep, tucking him in, and leaving the room.  and i will admit that there were nights when the frustration took over and a raised my voice and several times actually yelled at him   the few nights we did that, he cried hysterically and was clingy and crabby during the day.  again... more frustration and shortness with him during the day from this tired momma.  with our strong attachment and the fact that i'm with him virtually 24 hours a day, this created so much stress in him.  then the night terrors began.  i've never actually seen one, but it was very disconcerting to know that my actions had most likely caused them. so i went back to following my momma-gut and did what came natural.  i vowed to stay calm and speak lovingly no matter how frustrated i got.  each night, in conjunction with our normal nightly prayers, i began praying over him.  when he wakes up, i talk quietly and reassure him that "momma is here" and that he is safe. and you know what? it's working.
 

he's sleeping better.  i'm sleeping better.  and most importantly, my lovey, sweet-acting boy is back.  there is less cranky talk and disobedience during the day.  i feel like this whole ordeal was meant to bring us closer. i'm back on track to being the momma that i want to be...
the momma that he needs me to be. 

thanks so much for taking the time to read this... stop by and say hi sometime.
***************************************************

If you would like to participate in this series (running on Sundays), please email me at hisforhomeschooling {at} gmail {dot} com!

1 comment:

  1. HI! Is praying and staying calm still working? And he's in his own bed? I have a 4 year old who has been waking up throughout the night forever - I'm so exhausted. I have prayed over him and his room when he's not there - I haven't stopped :) He still wakes up every night. I'm exhausted. So any other tips you have I'll appreciate.
    Love reading your blog :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to every comment either by using the reply function (so please subscribe to the comment thread or check back) or email (if you are a "no-reply blogger", it is an easy change).

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...