CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Mitten Tot Trays

I have been planning and pinning for a mitten-themed week since January, and we are finally doing it! Boogie loves the book The Mitten, and I have just realized as I was planning this week that our version is different than the ones that many of the printables are based on. Sheepishly, I confess that we have the Jim Aylesworth retelling. I thought it was retold from the Jan Brett version, but apparently they are both retold from a Ukrainian folktale! Oops!

Moving on past my idiocy, let's look at Boogie's mitten trays!

I love this tray. I think Boogie will, too. I cut out six pairs of mittens for Boogie to color match then hang up using mini-clothespins (from Michaels). I made the clothesline out of an amazon box, popsicle sticks, butcher string, and a glue gun. There was a lot of trial and error involving popsicle sticks, cups, rocks, and knots. This was attempt # 3 and it works well enough. For this tray, Boogie can practice color matching/recognition, and fine motor skills. We could make patterns out of the different colored mittens. We can count the mittens by color or total, and we can sort them by color or total. We can count the clothespins. We can point the thumbs of the mittens in different directions and talk about left and right. We can talk about "pair" as a vocab word/concept, as well as "thumb", "left" and "right".


Pin It

This tray was inspired by Sasha from To The Lesson. She uses, I believe, felt mittens and silver sparkly snowflakes. We are using laminated mittens and cotton snowballs. I made the mittens in paint and am not offering a link unless someone really really wants it because it is very rough. It works for my Boogie but I don't know that I would want to subject any other children to my shoddy graphic design efforts. Anyway, this tray is for 1:1 correspondence, for counting from 1-10, and for putting numbers in order from 1-10. I will introduce/reinforce the vocabulary pair, thumb, left, and right. The different colors act as a cheat sheet for Boogie for putting the mittens in order. And, who am I kidding, Boogie will probably love dumping out the cotton balls and throwing them around the room, too :)


This tray was inspired by babies, toddlers, and preschoolers, oh my! and happy hooligans. The first blog gave me the idea to use letters, the second blog gave me the idea to use scrapbook paper. There are 26, yes, 26 pairs of mittens on this tray. Each pair is cut from a different piece of scrapbook paper. Each pair has one uppercase and one lowercase letter. Boogie is not old enough this time for matching the letters that way, but he can use the pattern as a cheat sheet. He does recognize some letters, mostly uppercase, so we will work on letter recognition. We will work on matching. We will talk about pairs. We can put the mittens in alphabetical order and sort them into uppercase/right-thumb and lowercase/left-thumb. we can talk about right and left. We can count the mittens by uppercase/right-thumb and lowercase/left-thumb or total. We can spell words with the mittens, mostly his name, probably.


This tray is a size-sorting tray. I thought it was more fun to use actual mittens than to print off and laminate mittens. So, the main idea is size-sorting, but we can also count how many pairs there are. We can count the total mittens. We can talk about what colors they are. Boogie can drop and dump and put them on and off.


This tray is a very simple mitten lacing tray, all red like in The Mitten, inspired by babies, toddlers, and preschoolers, oh my! and Cachey Mama's Classroom. We can count the two mittens and two strings. We can count the holes. We can talk about left and right and pair. But mostly, this is for fine motor work.


And, not mitten related, but we always have a play dough tray. For March, our sensory bin and play dough are St. Patrick's Day themed. I re-used our Christmas play dough and bought a shamrock cookie cutter on sale at Michaels.


For more mitten fun, check out our muffin tin meal that was based on The Mitten.

Linking up to these great parties!

20 comments:

  1. The mitten tray is excellent!!! I have made a game with mittens that kids had to match the same )you can see it in my blog if you want) but you gave me so many more ideas with this post! Great work! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maro! I didn't see a search option on your blog. If you send me a link, I would love to see your mitten activity.

      Delete
  2. As always, your trays are AMAZING!!! I love how you use your trays to contain the awesome learning ideas. I am sure your son will love them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Trina! It works for us as far as organizing and containing the chaos goes :)

      Delete
  3. I love your mitten trays! They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They turned out pretty much like I expected, which does not often happen for my ideas!

      Delete
  4. What fun winter trays! I really like the clipping of the mittens, I just purchased a bunch of colored clips, and was looking for ideas. The little box is a wonderful idea without taking up to much room, I will be making one for our class! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole! I am glad I could provide some inspiration can save you from the clothesline trial and error drama that I went through :P

      Delete
  5. Wonderful ideas for mittens. Glad you had a good time with my lacing activity. Thanks for sharing on Thinky Linky Thursday!
    Lori @ Cachey Mama’s Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lori! Lacing is such a great way to practice fine motor skills.

      Delete
  6. the upper/lower case letter matching is brilliant! thanks so much for the time you take to write up these posts and for linking to my party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement, Andie! I am glad to know that writing it all up is useful and appreciated :)

      Delete
  7. Great idea! Thanks so much for sharing! Definitely going to try it
    Http://mylittlehappies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh what is it about mittens and being so cute!
    Love the day's trays.

    Thanks for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mittens really are cute! You're right. Thanks, Maggy :)

      Delete
  9. Thanks for some of these great ideas!!! I've been looking for a mitten activity to do with my little one :) Thanks for sharing this with us at Sharing Saturday. Hope to see you again this week.

    ~MiaB
    www.mamamiasheart2heart.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another awesome set of activities! I really love the cotton ball mittens--I might try something similar with pom poms! Thanks for linking up at Teach Me Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How neat! I'm a bit late and I know my kids are a bit young still, but seeing the mitten lacing made me think of an intro to sewing. Like match them up thumb to thumb, and "sew" around it skipping the bottom middle (or bottom 3 depending on how big the mitten/child's hand is). Then they can "wear" it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to every comment either by using the reply function (so please subscribe to the comment thread or check back) or email (if you are a "no-reply blogger", it is an easy change).

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...