CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, March 3, 2012

St. Patrick's Day Sensory Bin

Just when I think I couldn't love a sensory bin more than the last one, things come together exactly right and I do! These are so much fun to plan and create!


Pin It

Isn't that green and sparkly and fun?! I especially love that each of the corners holds a pot of gold with a different type of gold. Here's a better look at what's inside.


I tend to have around the same amount of things in each bin, but this month there is not much variety, just different colors. But it all looks so nice put together.

*dried green split peas- base used for dumping, pouring and transferring (Walmart)
* gold coins (Party City) and green shamrock coins (Michaels)- counting, sorting
* gold and green sparkly pom poms- counting and sorting (Michaels)
* pots- counting, scooping, dumping, pouring, transferring (Dollar Zone)
* gold and green necklaces- counting, sorting, pretend play (Dollar Zone)
* gold and green flat marbles- counting, sorting (Michaels)
* shamrock table scatter- counting, scooping, dumping, pouring (Michaels)
* sparkly leprechaun hats- scooping, dumping, pouring (Michaels)
* green tongs- fine motor skills (Amazon 12 pack)
* green toddler spoon- spooning, scooping, mixing
* plastic shamrock shot glasses- scooping, dumping, pouring, stacking, transferring (Dollar Zone)
* leprechaun finger puppets- pretend play (homemade, see more below)
* yogurt cup leprechaun hat- scooping, dumping, pouring (homemade, see more below)

Here are closer views of the items I made for the sensory bin, and links to where I got the ideas. 


I got the templates for the finger puppets from Projects for Preschoolers. I chose to add a yellow foam buckle and came up with the idea for making the girl myself. I used yarn for the hair and thread for the hair bows. Boogie will not be happy if there is a "Dada" leprechaun and no "Mama" to keep him company :)


The Craft Blog at Canadian Living had an idea to make Glad containers into Leprechaun hats. I made mine out of a Chobani cup because I use them for everything!

I am re-using the base from our Christmas bin. The gold coins are from our Hanukkah tot trays. The pots are cauldrons re-used from our Halloween bin.

This bin appeals to Boogie's sense of sight, touch, and sound.

There are a variety of textures to explore through his sense of touch- lots of plastic, a food item (peas), soft things (pom poms, finger puppets), glass (marbles), and metal (necklaces and coins).
You can see Boogie's other sensory bins on my sensory bin page.
Linking up to these great parties!

26 comments:

  1. Awesome sensory bin!! Very creative and fun! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing sensory bin! I just featured your photo and post in my Montessori-Inspired St. Patrick's Day Activities at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2012/03/05/montessori-monday-montessori-inspired-st-patricks-day-activities/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Deb! There are so many great ideas out there and your site sends me so much traffic so I really appreciate the feature!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful sensory bin! Thanks for sharing, I always love seeing other sensory bins!!

    Mama Of Many Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how this sensory bin turned out!! We love sensory bins too, and I am always looking for excuses to make them lol. Thanks so much for sharing with Tuesday Tots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean! I love making them, too. I have to stop myself from making one for every little thing :)

      Delete
  5. It's a beautiful sensory bin! Those leprechaun finger puppets are so cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! I thought they turned out sweetly too :)

      Delete
  6. Yay for sensory bins! I wanted to do a St. Patrick's Day one, but I spent too much on the Valentine's one. I might have to do every other holiday/season, LOL. Thanks for sharing on Thinky Linky Thursday!
    Lori @ Cachey Mama’s Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Lori, I can relate! I can get carried away with an idea so quickly!

      Delete
  7. What an ADORABLE sensory bin and I love the finger puppets! Brilliant!

    Thanks for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  8. AWESOME sensory bin!! so many fun things in there :) Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Sharing Saturday. Hope to see you again this week.

    ~MiaB
    www.mamamiasheart2heart.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great sensory bin! I LOVE your little leperachaun finger puppets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mandi :) I'm glad you found my blog. Yours is full of great ideas and the title is great!

      Delete
  10. These ideas are so much fun! The puppets are especially adorable. Thanks for linking up to the Weekly Kid's Co-op!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so cool! I think I would have fun in your sensory bins! Those leprechaun puppets look like a blast! Thanks for linking up at Teach Me Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey sierra! another fun sensory bin for your boy! thanks for linking this up to last week's party! it was one of the top clicked links!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been putting together our sensory bin. Love the leprechaun finger puppets!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sierra I featured your awesome bin:
    http://trainupachildlearnaswego.blogspot.com/2012/03/weekly-kids-co-op-playdate-come-and_15.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE your St. Patrick's Day Sensory bing!!! I want to play too =-) The finger puppets, clever yogurt hat, and pots of money are AWESOME!!! I featured this at TGIF this week: http://www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/2012/03/tgif-linky-party-21.html - Come stop by, grab an featured button, and link up what you've been doing this week. Thanks for sharing your creativity with all of us & Have a GREAT weekend!
    Beth =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had a great time revisiting your post! I featured your post and photo again ... in my 40+ St. Patrick's Day Sensory Tubs at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2013/03/11/montessori-monday-40-plus-st-patricks-day-sensory-tubs/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to every comment either by using the reply function (so please subscribe to the comment thread or check back) or email (if you are a "no-reply blogger", it is an easy change).

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...