CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Lesson Learned- Preschool Powol Packets

I know things have been very quiet here since my Easter posts. I haven't forgotten about all of you! "Mama play choo-choo" is the name of the game right now, and I just haven't had time to sit down and post about the other things we are doing here and there. I hope to be able to post some pictures of Boogie and Bam Bam sometime soon, but I am not pushing myself to make time I don't have. In other news, we are preparing for a trip to visit family in Taiwan, so sometime before we go, I hope to write a great big post with pictures of all the travel activities I have been making/buying/putting aside for the plane. Also, What's on the Tray Wednesday just doesn't seem to be in the cards right now :( I am sorry I haven't gotten around to featuring anyone from the last time. And I am sorry I haven't responded to comments recently. My focus needs to be on other things, and I know all my regular readers understand the tricky balancing act of wife/mother/family member/friend/blogger.

Now that I have said a quick hello, it's time for a new post in the Lesson Learned series!

Carla, from Preschool Powol Packets, is here to share a lesson learned today. The quote she shares is guaranteed to make you stop and think as a parent. Carla hosts Teach me Tuesday, which I really enjoy linking up to, and also has a series called Sharing Saturday, where she features other bloggers. Carla is so friendly and enthusiastic, both in her comments and on her own site, which is full of fabulous ideas that she has created or discovered. Her experiences with her own children and as a former teacher are always shared in a positive and entertaining way. I love reading her blog and am sure you will, too!

******************************************

Preschool Powol Packets

Hi, everyone!  I'm Carla and I blog about everything related to preschool at Preschool Powol Packets.  I am so honored to be guest posting in the Lesson Learned series!  I think this series is a wonderful idea--sometimes it is easy to see everybody featuring their best work (on blogs and pinterest and everywhere else!) and start to feel like you're the only person who ever struggles.  I love how this series reminds us that we're all doing our best, and we all have things we need to work on!

One lesson that I keep learning (and learning and learning--I must still have some work to do in this area!) is how influential my attitude is to the atmosphere in the home.  It is relevant at School Time and Play Time and Cleaning Time and when we're just hanging out and (hopefully) enjoying our family's company.  The lesson came most recently as the weekend was ending and my bathroom floor wasn't quite finished.  I'd spent most of the weekend replacing the carpet in the bathroom with tiles.  I really wanted it done before the new week began, and our friends came over (I have a small in-home daycare).  I was very conflicted--I wanted to spend the weekend playing with my husband and kids, but I also wanted to finish the bathroom.  I chose family, but I found myself not really contributing to a happy, fun environment.  I kept getting annoyed at little things, and I realized that I hadn't said anything positive or even really laughed in hours!  When I could tell that my husband was starting to be careful not to say things that would upset me, I knew I needed some "time out!"  That's not how our family time should be! 

I left the room and took some deep breaths.  I thought about what was bothering me (because it certainly wasn't my family!) and realized it was stress about the bathroom.  I thought about the quote on the scroll [see picture below] and this post!  I made a deliberate decision to stop worrying about the floor and just enjoy my family.  I felt a bit bad that I had been so cranky all afternoon, but now it was time to enjoy the evening.


We had a wonderful dinner and fabulous evening.  After bed-time, I let my 5-year old stay up late with me while I finished the bathroom.  It was a great experience for both of us!  

And the lesson was such a timely reminder.  I fell in love with this quote (the one on the scroll) from Haim Ginott when I was a teacher.  Now that I'm a mother, I think it is even more important.  I changed a few words so it is more applicable to parents, but the meaning is the same.  I strongly believe that most of our children's behavior issues can resolved, managed, and improved when we, the parent, are in the right frame of mind.  It's amazing how happy my kids are when I'm having a good day and how "difficult" they are when I'm tired or stressed.  I am constantly working on maintaining a positive atmosphere at home despite any stressers that I may be dealing with!  This may be a lesson that takes me many years to really learn! 

Many thanks to Sierra for having me over!  I would love to meet the rest of you at Preschool Powol Packets--feel free to stop by!

*************************************

If you would like to participate in this series (running on Sundays), please email me at hisforhomeschooling {at} gmail {dot} com!

1 comment:

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to every comment either by using the reply function (so please subscribe to the comment thread or check back) or email (if you are a "no-reply blogger", it is an easy change).

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...