CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Missing my Daddy

Today is three years since my Daddy died in a car accident. I was 4 months pregnant with Boogie at the time. It was, without a doubt, the worst day of my life. I would never wish that kind of pain on anyone. God pulled me through the darkest part, but mourning is a long process. Maybe it never really ends. But today, instead of dwelling on the bad times or that terrible night, I want to share three of my Daddy's favorite things with you.

1- Football. Really, he loved all sports, I think, but football held a special place in his heart. And so my brothers and I are fierce football fans. We all cheer for the Giants because that was his team, and we were raised with "Let's go, Giants, let's go!" echoing in our heads during the football season.

2- Twizzlers. I craved Twizzlers like crazy throughout my pregnancy with Boogie after my Daddy died. It has kind of become a comfort food for my brothers and I. Even if there was no other junk food in his house when we went to visit him, I knew he had Twizzlers stashed someplace. There is actually a picture of me as a baby chomping on a Twizzler in my high chair. I made sure to introduce them to Boogie young, too. I have a picture of Boogie and I sharing a Twizzler when he was around a year old.

3- Billy Joel. I cannot tell you how many memories I have of driving with my Daddy with Billy Joel cranked up and blaring out the sunroof of his current sports car. "River of Dreams" was our summer soundtrack one year when I was young, and each day when we drove to a museum or aquarium or amusement park, he would sing along at the top of his lungs. He might not have always been on tune, but he sang with joy.

I hope my boys will love football, Twizzlers, and Billy Joel, too, and I look forward to sharing many more fun memories of their grandpa with them as they are growing up.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sierra! Thank you for sharing your tender heart with us again! I will be praying for you and thinking of you during the mourning process. And I agree with you, that is an ongoing process. My husband's mom passed away 4 years ago this April and JP was only 7 months old and CA hadn't joined our family yet, so we too try to do all we can to fill their lives with memories of an amazing grandparent who has passed. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We sat around tonight eating popcorn and twizzlers :) it was great! We miss him soo much!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sending you hugs today! you have some amazing traditions that you can pass on to your boys about their grandpa. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you and praying for you as you build memories with your own children. My dad passed away on the 21st of this month 2 years ago and I miss him too! I found out a month after his passing that I was just over a month pregnant with my 3rd blessing.
    C.S. Lewis said, "When we lose one blessing, another is often most unexpectedly given in it's place.
    AMEN!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you and praying that God continues to confort you in your time of sadness, and also in the joy of knowing he's in a better place. I have often wondered lately if the loss of a parent ever gets better, after losing my mother last month. Your post is just a reminder that the place for them in your heart will forever be empty. I am praying that God continues to remind you of all the good times!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My prayers go out for you! Tomorrow would have been my father's birthday; he too passed away unexpectedly, three and a half years ago, so I know the pain. My heart is with you and I pray you find comfort and peace.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to every comment either by using the reply function (so please subscribe to the comment thread or check back) or email (if you are a "no-reply blogger", it is an easy change).

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...