CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Fish in a Bottle- a travel aquarium

This is another travel idea aimed at my 14 month old, Bam Bam.

This activity was inspired by the Bright and Beyond Baby Playtime Activity Cards. They did it with only one water balloon and a sharpie face, but why use one balloon when you could use 5? And why use a sharpie when you could use googly eyes?


Pin It

The boys were happily entertained at the train table the day I made this, so I popped into the kitchen and watched them while I was gluing google eyes onto water balloons. Bam Bam noticed that I was doing something fun first, and within seconds I had two screaming children begging for fish at my feet. So, I made two, put them away, and am fairly sure this will keep them both happy at least for a little while on the plane. Obviously, I am bringing the bottles empty and adding water once we get through security. And unfortunately, it won't be colored water on the plane. But for car trips or a quiet activity in a waiting room or at a restaurant, colored water would make this more fun!

To make the fish you just need a little puff of air in small water balloons. Make the knot and voila! Fish! Use your favorite waterproof adhesive (I used superglue because I wasn't sure about hot glue in water) to attach some small googly eyes. Squeeze the fish through the opening, add some water, use some adhesive on the top if you will not be on a plane, and you have an adorable, portable aquarium!

I think this is fun for not only shaking and watching where the fish go (which is mostly what Bam Bam will be doing), but also for talking about colors and counting, which we will do with both boys, but Boogie will be more into the counting than Bam Bam, obviously. Colors are old hat for Boogie, but we can review them for Bam Bam's sake.

Hope you are all enjoying these cheap, easy DIY travel activities as much as I am enjoying making them! :)

Linking up to these great parties!

12 comments:

  1. This is TOO CUTE ... I love it! What amazing activities you're preparing for your trip! I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page and pinned it to my Traveling with Kids Board at http://pinterest.com/debchitwood/traveling-with-kids/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable and could be great for an ocean unit as well. Just pinned this. Vicky from www.messforless.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a GREAT idea! What a clever thing for little ones to play with in the car! Thanks for linking up to TGIF! Have a great week =-)
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great idea - a perfect travel toy. Thanks so much for linking up to Tuesday Tots last week. I've featured this posts on my blog this week as one of my favorites. Please feel free to pop over and grab a featured at button. (http://oneperfectdayblog.net)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is so cute. What a great idea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found you featured at For the Kids Friday and I love this idea. We will have to try it, but I'm thinking about using a 2 liter bottle...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this, what a great idea and super cute. My daughter hates the car and we travel a lot I am going to make this for our next trip! I would love for you to share this on our Made for or by kids Linky http://wemadethat.blogspot.com/2012/09/we-made-that-linky-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can travel fifty thousand miles in America without once tasting a piece of good bread.
    Flights to Addis Ababa
    Cheap Flights to Addis Ababa
    Cheap Air Tickets to Addis Ababa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best online earning system in the world, Online Data entry jobs, Form Filling Jobs, Copy Pasting Jobs
    Join the best online system from home, Best Investment Plans without any work
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. No frills airlines have been running successfully for nearly two decades. However, for every successful low cost carrier, there are ten that go out of business. So how do cheap flight operators make their money? Low cost airlines make their money on routes where there is very little or no competition.

    charter a private jet Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this information from you.

    135 Gallon Tall Black Aquarium

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to every comment either by using the reply function (so please subscribe to the comment thread or check back) or email (if you are a "no-reply blogger", it is an easy change).

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...