CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Very Boogie Story, aka Happy 3rd Birthday, Sweet Boy!


If you know me, and aren't a mama, this will almost definitely be TMI. Fair warning.

If you love a good bump to baby story, this post is for you.

Today, my Boogie turns 3. I have no idea where the time has gone. But, I am feeling very nostalgic, and want to share the story of our firstborn coming into the world since I haven't posted it before. 

Hubby-Man and I had been trying to expand our family for a few months when my grandfather died. Poppy was an incredibly special man and a huge part of our lives. He was so healthy and so strong until he developed pancreatic cancer. It was heart-breaking to watch his health deteriorate over the 10 months that he fought the disease. After Jesus called him home in September 2008, I did not have a cycle for 3 months. At the end of the third month, right around Christmas, I called a doctor. I was told there were no appointments for months. I almost started crying. The woman asked what was wrong and when I told her, she got me an appointment within two days! They gave me a hormone pill to take to jump start my system and told me emphatically that it was like a reset button and not a real cycle. I would still have to wait for a real cycle before I could expect to get pregnant.

God laughed, cracked his knuckles, and asked, "Says who?"

Within 2 weeks of the so-called fake cycle, I was pregnant with Boogie.

I didn't know it until February, though. Hubby-Man and I relocated for his job. As we were moving and unpacking, I felt terrible. My stomach was having a lot of problems, I was going to bed at sunset, waking up late in the morning, and still felt tired all the time I was unpacking. I was having migraines every night. I attributed it to the stress of moving, but after 5 days in our new home, I unpacked a box marked "bathroom", took out a dollar store test, and 3 minutes later was absolutely stunned to see two lines! Hubby-Man didn't even know I was testing, since we were both under the impression that it was not possible at the moment, so he was over-the-moon happy and surprised.

The next two months passed in a nauseous, tired, busy blur of unpacking, subbing, and tutoring. We were on our way home from visiting with friends on Good Friday of 2009 when we got a call that my Daddy had died in a car accident.

That was the longest night of my life. And there were many long nights to follow. The prayers of many faithful friends and acquaintances, the love and patience of my Hubby-Man, and the knowledge that I had to be brave for the baby in my belly, strengthened me to get up each morning. It was not easy. I did not gain any weight until sometime in the second trimester when the doctor told me that I needed to work harder. She told me to eat white bread, drink whole milk, and stock up on ice cream. After that, I started gaining weight :)

September 28, 2009- 4 days before Boogie made his debut!
And gaining weight, and gaining weight! 

Until October 2nd. I woke up at 5:21 in the morning with a really strong contraction. I had been having
tons of light Braxton Hicks for a few weeks but it was very different. I wrote the time down in my journal then tried to go back to sleep. 10 minutes later, another one. Wrote it down, tried to go back to sleep. I
knew if they were BH again sleep would make them stop. For an hour they were 8-10 min apart. Hubby-Man's alarm went off and he saw I was up. I asked if he could go into work late because I had been timing contractions for an hour. He was so excited! Every morning since I started having BHs he would ask if my water broke yet (at least half-joking, since that isn't the kind of thing I would let him sleep through!) so the fact that it might actually finally be the day was exactly what he wanted to hear. He called work and showered and got ready to wait and see with me. I showered, and he kept jotting down times when I called to him. At 7:30, we called the doctor because the contractions were anywhere from 3-8 min apart.

The nurse told us, "If it's your first child, I doubt you're in labor. Wait it out an hour or two. Take some Tylenol if it hurts." Hubby-Man and my mom thought we should go to the hospital but a) I didn't want to be "that girl" and b) copays are expensive if you aren't admitted. So I wanted to wait and be sure.

Hubby-Man and I got out bags ready just in case. He repacked them because he needed something to do and he didn't think we needed everything. Then, we sat on the couch and he turned on one of the myriad of Planet of the Apes movies. We kept timing the contractions and they were getting more intense. Hubby-Man tried to apply counter-pressure while I leaned against the couch, the exercise ball, or cushions and it helped but didn't take away the pain obviously. We started watching a badly dubbed Jackie Chan movie next and by then it was about 1030, I think, so we called the doctor back. At this point, the contractions were 2-5 min apart. The nurse was like "Oh, um, maybe you should come in after all." Thanks, lady!

We got in the car and drove the 20 minutes of city road, complete with trolley tracks the whole way. Worst. Ride. Ever.

As I was feeling every bump, and trying to breathe through the contractions, Hubby-Man was like "If you're in labor I think you could do it naturally because you must not be in too much pain. You're not showing it at all!" I told him, whenever I could speak, "No, I'm in a ton of pain. I'm just stubborn."

When we finally got there, Hubby-Man dropped me off at the front and went to park because it was quite a little walk. We had to wait until I had a contraction then I got out and rushed in to the lobby and found a chair in time to have another contraction. I called my mom to keep me company while I waited for Hubby-Man, who was extremely fast. Mom kept telling me to go to the front desk and tell someone I was in
labor but I told her I wanted to wait for him. My sister-in-law was at my mom's house and thought I didn't want to talk to her because she got on the phone and tried to say hi during a contraction. Mom had to explain that I didn't want to talk to anyone during contractions and was having them to the point where I couldn't talk when they happened. They both thought I was crazy for sitting there instead of being rushed to a room.

When Hubby-Man came in, he was like, "Let's go" and I told him I needed a wheel chair. He was surprised and asked, "Can't you walk?" since I had just walked in. I told him NO in no uncertain terms, so he wheeled me into L&D. It took a little while to get signed in then we went across the hall to another waiting area. I was taken before the other woman there because she wasn't in labor and I definitely was. Hubby-Man had to wait outside while they did the triage thing with a ton of questions and then I came back out and we waited some more.

FINALLY, around 11:30 in the morning, someone checked me and told me, "Oh, yes, you're about 6 centimeters dilated, dear." I knew 10 was the number I was going for but wasn't sure how 6 ranked in the grand scheme of things. I asked, "Does that mean we're having a baby today?" and she told me yes, then went to get Hubby-Man, who started making phone calls. Next time the nurse came in, I asked for my epidural and she told me I could have one when I got a room. After another 30 minutes of waiting, and monitoring, they took me to get an ultrasound to make sure the baby was head down. Since I could barely talk anyway, I didn't tell them that he has been head down for weeks and I could tell them for a fact he was at the moment. As they are doing this, and I am still undrugged, and still having contractions every 2-3 minutes, they are asking me more questions. Then, finally, they gave me a room.

I asked for the epidural again, and they told me it was coming, but in the meantime they needed to do my IV, ask more questions, and have me sign stuff. Since this was a multi-doctor practice, I wasn't sure who would be delivering our baby until she walked into the room. It was my favorite doctor, so I was really excited to see her. Since the nurses were doing their paperwork, she said she would be right back.

The epidural came, and the anesthesiologist was a resident. She had more questions and more things to sign. As they were getting me ready, and telling me to hold still and lean forward, my water broke, around 12:40 in the afternoon. It took them 3 times to get the epidural in- the first time she missed, the second time she hit a vein. My Hubby-Man kept asking me if anything hurt as he is watching all the needles and I told him that only the contractions hurt.

While they were still putting in the epidural, I felt the sensation that only a mother knows- time to get to the end and push. I told my nurses, who looked at each other and rushed to get things ready. They said even though I hadn't been checked yet, they believed me.

At 1:20, the epidural was finally in and they gave me an elevated dose and let me push the button right away for more. Instant relief. It was lovely! My doctor came in as soon as I was lying down, checked me, told me I was 10 centimeters and it was time to push. I was extremely fortunate to get the epidural at all, since they aren't supposed to give it that late. Thankfully, she hadn't checked first. But all that is to say I went through active labor and transition without any drugs. Not by choice, but I did do it.

Then, I pushed for THREE HOURS. Poor Boogie's head was big and he was just pounding it against bone for three hours. I am glad I had the epidural for that last stretch, which was the longest part of the whole thing. Finally, finally, at 4:12 in the afternoon, something worked, and they handed me our beautiful baby boy!


So, my entire labor and delivery, from beginning to end, was only 11 hours! It was a huge blessing that it went so fast and so well.

And now, here we are, three years later on his birthday.  It has gone so fast!

Now that I rambled about how Boogie came into the world, here are Boogie's answers to 20 questions now that he is 3.

1. What makes you happy?
Balloons.
2. What makes you sad?
Garbage truck. 'Cause a garbage truck makes me cry.
2a. Why?
So loud!
3. What makes you scared?
Lions make me scary. And I say, "Oh my!" And I'm going to get scaried of lions. I get scaried of tigers and lions.
4. What is your favorite season?
Fall.
5. What is your favorite weather?
Desert. (ok, then!)
6. What is your favorite color?
Red.
7. What is your favorite toy?
Dump truck.
8. What is your favorite food?
Chicken.
9. What food do you not like?
Spicy.
10. What is your favorite TV show?
 Lightning McQueen.
11. What is your favorite store?
Car cart. There's a train in the other store. (He means Wegman's.)
12. What is your favorite song?
Doo Doo. The train song at Atai's. (A Mandarin song called "Doo Doo Dong" that we watched/listened to in Taiwan on karaoke about a million times)
13.  What is your favorite book?
Trucks.
14. What is your favorite animal?
Dinosaur.
15. What is your favorite drink?
Milk.
16. What is your favorite thing to bring in your crib with you?
Sebastian (the name of his Fisher Price musical seahorse.)
17. What is your favorite thing to do outside?
Schoolwork. (Nerd!)

And my favorite questions and answers:

18. Who is your best friend?
Mommy.
19. Who is your best little friend?
Mommy.
19a. No, I mean your size. Not a grown up.
Bam Bam. Can I snuggle him?
20. What do you want to be when you grow up?
BIGGER! (And he yelled it, too. So.Stinking.CUTE!!)

And a bonus question. I asked him his favorite memory. And he said "Go in the rain." Today, we took his birthday pictures in the rain outside of Olive Garden and he loved it! Which you can tell from the photo at the top of this post, I am sure :)

One more piece of remembering, then I am done with this super sappy post.


Happy birthday, Boogie. I love you so much.

3 comments:

  1. I love reading birth stories! I've never shared mine on my blog, but I might try to get around to posting the first two before the third one makes her debut, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have nominated you for an award. Check it out:
    http://heymommychocolatemilk.blogspot.com/2012/10/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    Be blessed,
    Julie @ Hey Mommy, Chocolate Milk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    Will you please post a link to your Blog at The Homeschooling Community? Our members will appreciate it.
    Members include: Homeschooling parents, families, experts, advocates and organizations.
    It's easy to do, just cut and paste the link and it automatically links back to your website. You can also add Articles, Photos, Videos and Classifieds if you like.
    Email me if you need any help or would like me to do it for you.
    Please feel free to share as often and as much as you like.
    The Homeschooling Community: http://www.vorts.com/homeschooling/
    I hope you consider sharing with us.
    Thank you,
    James Kaufman, Editor

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to every comment either by using the reply function (so please subscribe to the comment thread or check back) or email (if you are a "no-reply blogger", it is an easy change).

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...